volume pot in balanced line - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2008, 02:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default volume pot in balanced line

Hello all,

is it possible to connect a volume potmeter in a balanced line? My guitar is equipped with a low impedance p.u. and is connected to an audio mixer (XLR, low Z, hot, return and shield). My goal is to use a volume foot pedal with this guitar but all the pedals I know of are high Z unbalanced. Maybe someone can help me out on this one? Thanks a lot, Bouatila!
Old 2nd November 2008, 05:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can use a stereo pot. They can be scavenged from old amplifiers but can also be found at Digikey I would believe.

Best Regards
Tom
Old 2nd November 2008, 06:25 PM   #3
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

just insert the pot (connected as a variable resistor) between hot and cold. No connection to signal ground.

If the line resistor in the hot and in the cold is too low then the impedance seen by the source will fall drastically as the attenuation is increased.
Depending on the impedances of the source and of the receiver, you will have to determine the line resistors and pot value to get the attenuation rates you require.
Old 5th November 2008, 05:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MisterStarshine
You can use a stereo pot. They can be scavenged from old amplifiers but can also be found at Digikey I would believe. Best Regards Tom
... and that's what I did and it works like a charm! Thank you for sharing this splendid idea. I used a 10k log stereo pot and first made a testing configuration. Now that it works I plan to convert an Ernie Ball volumepedal. E.B. have a stereo low impedance pedal, but their 25k is way too much.

Ciao, Bouatila
Old 5th November 2008, 05:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

<just insert the pot (connected as a variable resistor) between hot and cold. No connection to signal ground.
If the line resistor in the hot and in the cold is too low then the impedance seen by the source will fall drastically as the attenuation is increased.
Depending on the impedances of the source and of the receiver, you will have to determine the line resistors and pot value to get the attenuation rates you require. regards Andrew T.>

Thank you for thinking along with me. I went for the stereo pot option: it works splendidly. Ciao, Bouatila

Hide this!Advertise here!