Simple technique for guitar amp channel switching?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been searching through guitar amp schematics to see if there is a simple technique for channel switching by footswitch.

For opamp based amps, there is a simple method of ungrounding the feedback network of a stage to silence that same opamp stage. This lends to a very easy to implement footswitch requiring only one contact and no relays or other devices.

I was looking through commercial tube guitar amp schematics but could find no equivalent trick, all I could find were relay based channel switching by footswitches. Any ideas?

There are several issues to contend with: tube impedance, how much signal is bled through, and sending audio through the cable to the switch.

Relays solve a lot of problems and allow channel switching without "tricks", which is why they are used.

The Super Twin Reverb did use a foot switch to change the bias point of a preamp tube to move it into distortion. Unfortunately, most people did not like the tone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.