Electronic guitar pickup selector - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2008, 08:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Electronic guitar pickup selector

Hi!
I have tapped all my electronics guru resources and understood that what I thought was a simple matter is not so straight-forward.

Essentially, I want to create an electronic "switch" that can be used to connect two electronic guitar pickup signals: first signal alone, second signal alone, both in parallel, both in series and both in parallel out of phase.

One of these could be used to control a single humbucker. Two could be used to control a three pickup single-coil instrument, etc.

To simplify matters, creating something that is an electronic version of a DPDT switch would suffice. I believe that things like impedances etc of guitar pickups make it more complicated?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. For details on my current project, please see my home page.

Thanks in advance,
Ola
Old 12th July 2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Banned

4 switches. Forget the impedance.

Click the image to open in full size.

1. 1

2. 2

3. 1&2

4. 1&3

5. 4

w

There might be a smart way to do this with less switches, but I can't see it at the moment...
Old 13th July 2008, 12:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Electronic guitar pickup selector

Quote:
Originally posted by ola_strandberg
To simplify matters, creating something that is an electronic version of a DPDT switch would suffice. I believe that things like impedances etc of guitar pickups make it more complicated?
Yes, there is a challenge in creating these, not directly because of the impedance, but the fact that passive pickups' are very low level signals. I don't know this field of electronics well, but I think that will find that solid state relay technologies will all have much too high leakage current to work in this app. I think your best option would be to read some of the forum threads on relay based attenuators. Relays optimized for small signals like used in those apps are likely your best bet.
Old 13th July 2008, 12:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Electronic guitar pickup selector

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly

Yes, there is a challenge in creating these, not directly because of the impedance, but the fact that passive pickups' are very low level signals. I don't know this field of electronics well, but I think that will find that solid state relay technologies will all have much too high leakage current to work in this app. I think your best option would be to read some of the forum threads on relay based attenuators. Relays optimized for small signals like used in those apps are likely your best bet.
Guitar pickups put out healthy level. In fact some high OP humbuckers
can put out over 1V for a short period of string attack.

The issue is very much the high impedance. The gtr pickup wants
to see very high Z and very low C and hopefully no solid state type
capacitive modulation.

T
Old 13th July 2008, 10:16 AM   #5
Banned

BS. This is music, not electronics. If you start ******** around with active devices you'll need a battery in your guitar.

Later production Fender Strats have a simple switch arrangement to allow adjacent pickups to be connected in parallel. There is no impedance issue.

Just connect up the switches as shown above and try it...

w
Old 13th July 2008, 02:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to karahara
Maybe some switch like these: Schaller, Rotary Switch
will help you.
Old 13th July 2008, 03:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wakibaki
BS. This is music, not electronics. If you start ******** around with active devices you'll need a battery in your guitar.

Later production Fender Strats have a simple switch arrangement to allow adjacent pickups to be connected in parallel. There is no impedance issue.

Just connect up the switches as shown above and try it...

w

Yes - I did say "no solid state type capacitive modulation."

Did you read the post or understand it?

T
Old 13th July 2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Banned

¿Qué?

Have you ever rebuilt a guitar?

w
Old 13th July 2008, 06:06 PM   #9
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

A battery does not need to be a bad thing, like Uncle Jed's little Fet preamp... low enough power consumption to probably do a few thousand hours on a 9V... BTW if someone feels like donateing 2 of those j201 fets, I'll gladly take em... they are a bit unobtanium here.
Old 13th July 2008, 06:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ola, as you can see, sometimes a poster's request gets drowned out by others' chest thumping. I can see you are new so please do not get discouraged and feel free to post follow ups.

Hide this!Advertise here!