Guitar amp recommendation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2008, 08:15 AM   #1
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Guitar amp recommendation

G'Day Guys,

First off, I don't play electric guitar, so I don't really know what is important in a guitar amp. My 12 year old son plays acoustic guitar and wants to learn electric. I see the opportunity to build an amp! From what I gather, much of the "tube sound" in a guitar amp comes when you drive it hard, so a large amp to practice at home will probably not sound the best? So, for use at home, at volume levels that are not going to drive me insane, what do people recommend? I am thinking maybe a Fender champ or princeton narrow panel, or maybe a marshall 18.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 3rd July 2008, 08:45 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Look at AX84.com website. I recommend these: Firefly (1W), Lead 1 with 6V6 PP 20W.
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Chris,

I have just gone through this process myself for my 10 year old boy. I have a coupe of mates who are really into guitar playing and they both came up with the same amp.

This is what I was looking for -

A classic, proven design
Something that can play loud but also sounds good a low volume
A nice Bluesy sound
Something with a bit of character

Both recommended the Fender tweed deluxe - and both own these amps as well.

I looked into the complete DIY option, and the more I looked the more obvious it became that a kit was the way to go.

I ordered a complete kit (including replica cabinet) from Mojo Musical Supplies (http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/) for about $700. There is an Australian company that does it as well but they are significantly more expensive.

Now, I ordered the amp about 6 weeks ago and it has not been sent yet as they are awaiting an export (240v) transformer so I am a little disappointed with the time but they have not charged my credit card yet and they have been very prompt and courteous with their emails and quite apologetic.

I have attached a schematic but I think that the one that they sell is the slightly later (but very similar) model.

Hope this helps. Have a look at the site under the kit section. Lots of options and prices as well.

Cheers,

Rob
Old 3rd July 2008, 10:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sorry,

Here is schematic.

Rob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf deluxe_5d3_schem.pdf (96.5 KB, 147 views)
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info.

I think I have most of the parts available to make one of these. Just need an output transformer and speaker. The cabinet looks like it is nothing more than a box without a back. The chassis and wiring for the amps look a quite agricultural. Chassis as ground, heaters grounded to chassis etc. Do these things hum like crazy?

Anyway, looks like a fun project!

Cheers,

Chris
Old 3rd July 2008, 12:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Guitar amp recommendation

Quote:
Originally posted by chrish
G'Day Guys,

First off, I don't play electric guitar, so I don't really know what is important in a guitar amp. My 12 year old son plays acoustic guitar and wants to learn electric. I see the opportunity to build an amp! From what I gather, much of the "tube sound" in a guitar amp comes when you drive it hard, so a large amp to practice at home will probably not sound the best? So, for use at home, at volume levels that are not going to drive me insane, what do people recommend? I am thinking maybe a Fender champ or princeton narrow panel, or maybe a marshall 18.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris

I agree, you don`t need much power for a practice amp.
I made myself a single ended 5watt amp, and it was way more than i needed. For me at least I think half a watt would be enough.
Old 3rd July 2008, 01:16 PM   #7
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Wouldnt it be easier to just grab an Epiphone Valve Junior off ebay and mod/voice it as desired?

These can usually be purchased in new to near new condition for under $150.00.
There are hundreds of mods & upgrades posted on various web sites.

This amp was responsable for a heck of a lot of guys getting their feet wet in Valve amps and mods.

Just a thought.
Old 3rd July 2008, 01:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestion Trout, however I live in Australia and 240volt mains and international shipping will add to the pain.

I know my son thinks I am a bit of a geek, but I know if we build an amp together he will secretly boast to his friends (when I am not around) "my dad and I built this thing". Truth is, I like building things too

While I have your attention, are there any sonic benefits of single ended vs push pull for guitar amps?

Thanks again guys!

Chris
Old 3rd July 2008, 02:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Firefly

The Firefly is an excellent little amp - distorts nicely and is not too loud.
I built one for my son, and it has launched a frenzy of amp building. Lots of fun, and his guitar teacher is impressed!

Also have a look at www.generalguitargadgets.com for neat effects to build.

Ian
Old 3rd July 2008, 02:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

If it is a benifit depends on your preference.

To my ears SE sounds sweeter and warmer, also when overdriven. For sweet clean sounds I prefer SE, for hard heavy metal distortion I prefer PP.
PP sounds more dynamic and punchy, it hits you harder.

Hide this!Advertise here!