replacing tone stack in tube pa for guitar - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2008, 01:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default replacing tone stack in tube pa for guitar

Hi Folks, I have been reading through old threads regarding converting tube pa amps to guitar amps. I have a few of these and have a friend teaching me how to repair them. He is not a guitar guy though, more of a radio guy. My question is this, can I just rewire the tone section to a fender or marshall type tone circuit without worry of causing the amp to be unstable. I have bogen mx-60 and mx-60a that I have repaired and work great but now i want to tweak them to get a nicer tone. I am just worried that if i change to a fender tone circuit, I might create some problems unwittingly. Any help is greatly appreciated. I will include a schematic for the mx-60a but I can't find one for the mx-60 so if anyone has one I would be gratefull for a copy.

thank you all very much

Brett
Old 28th June 2008, 01:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

can't seem to get the schematic to come up. i will keep trying

Brett
Old 29th June 2008, 02:39 AM   #3
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Is that the Bogen with a PP 807 output section? Dual rectifiers and weight about 9000 lbs?

I might have the schematic out in my garage with the same unit.
I'll check later.

Trout
Old 29th June 2008, 12:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Trout, the bogen mx-60 has 3 rectifiers ( gz34 I believe ) and a pair of 7027's in pp. Mine only weighs 8943 lbs! the mx-60a has a pair of 8417's in pp and a ss rectifier. I find these to be very good amps with heavy iron and very loud. I'm just not sure if I can arbitrarily change the tone stack without having any adverse consequences on the rest of the circuit. If you have any bogen or fanon schematics I would be most grateful for a copy.

Regards

Brett
Old 6th July 2008, 06:26 AM   #5
Gunny is offline Gunny  United States
diyAudio Member

I would be interested in any info you find out on this as I just picked up a Bogen MX60 as a project head for guitar. My amp has 6l6s in it. Jim
Old 6th July 2008, 10:13 PM   #6
Merlinb is offline Merlinb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Provided you don't try and put the tone stack inside the global feedback loop, you should be fine.

Hide this!Advertise here!