Spare parts source for SWR bass amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to find a source for spare parts to SWR bass amps -
specifically I am after the heat sink and other components
for one of the two channels in a Mo'bass I recently got off eBay.

(I posted a long ranting about this project under
diyAudio Forums > Top >Amplifiers >Solid State>SWR Mo'bass PA module )

I'm grateful for any help leading me in the right direction... I suppose
I should ask Fender's Swedish retailer, but I suspect they would offer
me a solution that is way past my budget - such as 'send in the amp
for service'... I could be wrong though.

Why do you need a heatsink? Transistors, capacitors, and resistors are generic, and can be had from various suppliers. UNless someone drives over it with a truck, the heatsink should last until the end of time. It is just metal.

I don't know why you wouldn't contact the Fender distributor just because he might say "no." He might have exactly what you need. It won't hurt to ask. If the MoBass predates Fender, they might not have many parts for it.

My experience as an authorized SWR service center - both independently and as a part of Fender - has been that almost all repairs are done with electronics components available in the parts market. The only actual SWR part I might order would be specific OEM stuff like pots.

Enzo said:
Why do you need a heatsink? Transistors, capacitors, and resistors are generic, and can be had from various suppliers. UNless someone drives over it with a truck, the heatsink should last until the end of time. It is just metal.

I don't know why you wouldn't contact the Fender distributor just because he might say "no." He might have exactly what you need. It won't hurt to ask. If the MoBass predates Fender, they might not have many parts for it.

My experience as an authorized SWR service center - both independently and as a part of Fender - has been that almost all repairs are done with electronics components available in the parts market. The only actual SWR part I might order would be specific OEM stuff like pots.

Thanks for your replies people,

Evenyually I did contact Fender, and they directed me to musicpartsguru.com. It took a week or two, then I got a question
from them if I could use 230 or 220 V instead of 240 V for the transformer I was also asking about. Now another week has passed. It seems to be a slow process.

I need the heat sink because it was missing when I got the amp.
I could manufacture one by cutting down a larger off the shelf heat sink, but I'd rather avoid it. The heat sink seems to be about the same for all models since the introduction of the 2SC3264 output transistors, so I guess it shouldn't be impossible to find.

Since this is a low budget project anyway, I'll just wait and se and
run the amp on 120 V and mono until something comes up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.