Binson Echorec - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2008, 06:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Binson Echorec

Has anyone built a binson echorec 2?. The schematics look realy quite difficult? Anyone have an experience building/owning one..............ohhh, for anyone who was curious, the echorec 2 is tube-echo unit built in the sixties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bins1[1].jpg (25.3 KB, 222 views)
Old 15th June 2008, 01:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would have thought the electronics would be crude and simple (like all valve stuff), it's the mechanics that are likely to be the difficult part.
Old 15th June 2008, 02:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hmmmmm, i would think the mechanics are the easy part! Im somewhat of a beginner in electronics, so it all looks kinda complicated and difficult!
Old 15th June 2008, 04:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ramalamafafafa
Hmmmmm, i would think the mechanics are the easy part! Im somewhat of a beginner in electronics, so it all looks kinda complicated and difficult!
Why do you wish to try and built such an antique anyway?, things have moved on a lot since then

So what particular problems are you having, or anticipating?.
Old 16th June 2008, 07:04 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Im basicly thinking it will be a mind numbing task to follow a schematic that large (its all sorta large to me, as ive not been into electronics for very long!!!). I realy love the sound of those old echo units......................they've long since become outmoded and obsolete, but they have a strange sound quality to them that i dig. (it could be described as "fantasticly lo-fi and crappy!"). This particular unit has a number of sounds and features i like....Anyone who has ever watched and enjoyed an early pink floyd vid knows what im talkin' 'bout!
Old 16th June 2008, 10:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This particular unit has a number of sounds and features i like....Anyone who has ever watched and enjoyed an early pink floyd vid knows what im talkin' 'bout!
I suspect that the sound you like isn't so much this particular unit, but the quality and skills of Pink Floyd

Like I said before though, the electronics looks pretty simple, just a collection of triodes - but the mechanical part is likely to be tricky, and probably requires special transformers to interface to as well.
Old 16th June 2008, 01:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes and no. Ive also heard rather terrible guitarists play through it and i still loved its tone....i have a schematic, im just a little bit...............................overwhelmed???? (i can read em, just.............)
Old 18th June 2008, 11:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, i think the mechanical part is basicly a motor running from the transformer, fairly simple i would think. You are right, the electronics are realy just a number of triodes (six to be exact).
Old 18th June 2008, 07:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, i think the mechanical part is basicly a motor running from the transformer, fairly simple i would think. You are right, the electronics are realy just a number of triodes (six to be exact).
How would that give echo?, you need to record the audio, and play it back after a delay - from the Binson website

Quote:
Binsons were unique in their construction, utilising a specially designed steel/alloy disc drum, which carried a durable flat metal 'tape'. The life of these drums are 40 years plus at the time of writing. The drum was driven by a powerful AC motor, in most cases, via a rubber jockey wheel, which kept the transport very stable. Record and playback heads were arranged around the drum periphery, the longest delay, or playback echo being a nominal 350 - 375 milliseconds.
Old 19th June 2008, 10:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well yes, the motor spins a metal disc which has a number of playback haeds, a record head, and a erase head. As the disc spins, the signal is recorded to the disc, then played back via the playback heads. It is essentialy a tape player, like all tape/disc echos. Probably should have added that "minor" detail!

Hide this!Advertise here!