I Have Finished My Standell 25L15 Clone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2008, 05:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I Have Finished My Standell 25L15 Clone

I have attached two pictures of the Standell 25L15 clone. It took a lot of digging on the internet and in books to come up with the schematic. I built this project because I had an original JBL D130 from the late 50s early 60s and I love Chet Atkins guitar playing. Chet used one of these amps for every one of his recordings from the late 50s until he died.

The amp uses two 12AX7s in the preamp, a 12AU7 driver, two 807s for the outputs and a GZ34 rectifier. It puts out right around 24 -25 wattts Class A push pull.

I have a Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman which I play through it and the sound is fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25l15 back_resize.jpg (87.4 KB, 2315 views)
Old 10th May 2008, 05:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I am very interested in the design and in seeing your creation, but the pictures didn't stick. You can host them at http://imageshack.us/ if you need to.

Wade
Old 10th May 2008, 11:23 PM   #3
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I Have Finished My Standell 25L15 Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by guitar88
I have attached two pictures of the Standell 25L15 clone. It took a lot of digging on the internet and in books to come up with the schematic. I built this project because I had an original JBL D130 from the late 50s early 60s and I love Chet Atkins guitar playing. Chet used one of these amps for every one of his recordings from the late 50s until he died.

The amp uses two 12AX7s in the preamp, a 12AU7 driver, two 807s for the outputs and a GZ34 rectifier. It puts out right around 24 -25 wattts Class A push pull.

I have a Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman which I play through it and the sound is fantastic.

Oh My, I just noticed you only live about 20 minutes from me as the crow flys.
I grew up out near Sleepy Hollow, Dundee was my old stomping grounds when I was in high school.

Hey, any chance of getting a copy of the schematic? I have been searching for that one for a long time.

I have a OT I planned on using that came from an old PA that used 807's that I am just dying to build!!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th May 2008, 01:09 AM   #4
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, please a schematic.
That is very impressive build.
I want one bad.
I have 807's
mmmm beutifull job, wish I could hear the thing in person. Bet it is crazy nice. JBL also = very nice
J & G
Old 11th May 2008, 01:16 AM   #5
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow you lucky guy a Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman.

Thats an awesome guitar, Kind of a contradictory saying awesome and Chet Atkins in the same sentence.

But still a great guitar I wish I could afford one.

Nick
Old 11th May 2008, 02:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Additional Picture

Have added the front view. My problem on the original thread was how do you post more than one image at a time in a thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25l15 front_resize.jpg (82.3 KB, 2083 views)
Old 11th May 2008, 03:08 PM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Additional Picture

Quote:
Have added the front view. My problem on the original thread was how do you post more than one image at a time in a thread.

You can't directly, use imageshack to host the pictures and paste the links for all of the pix you want to share into your post. See tubewade's post for a link to imageshack. It's free and almost easy to use..

Yes, how about a schematic?
Old 12th May 2008, 02:26 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Schematic For Amp

Here is the schematic for this amp. Be aware that the original Standel was designed around the use of a JBL D-130 15" speaker. Hence the amp may not sound the same if something else is used. Since I already had the speaker this amp seemed like the logical choice to build.

Standel is making these again at a very hefty price. They even go out of their way to locate old JBL D-130s to be used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schematic.jpg (79.0 KB, 2530 views)
Old 12th May 2008, 11:47 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Really nice job and excellent craftsmanship. This is a fine example of why projects built out of love are so far ahead of those in the mass market. Thank you for sharing with us.

Wade
Old 12th May 2008, 12:16 PM   #10
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Schematic For Amp

Quote:
Here is the schematic for this amp. Be aware that the original Standel was designed around the use of a JBL D-130 15" speaker. Hence the amp may not sound the same if something else is used. Since I already had the speaker this amp seemed like the logical choice to build.

Standel is making these again at a very hefty price. They even go out of their way to locate old JBL D-130s to be used.
Thanks!!

I knew Standel was making these again, But the price is as you mentioned pretty steep.

How accurate is the schematic to the original amp? Just curious, the current production schematic is as impossible to get as an original.

Once again, thanks for posting this!!

Trout

Hide this!Advertise here!