I Have Finished My Standel 25L15 Clone

I have attached two pictures of the Standel 25L15 clone. It took a lot of digging on the internet and in books to come up with the schematic. I built this project because I had an original JBL D130 from the late 50s early 60s and I love Chet Atkins guitar playing. Chet used one of these amps for every one of his recordings from the late 50s until he died.

The amp uses two 12AX7s in the preamp, a 12AU7 driver, two 807s for the outputs and a GZ34 rectifier. It puts out right around 24 -25 wattts Class A push pull.

I have a Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman which I play through it and the sound is fantastic.

Attachments

• 25l15 back_resize.jpg
    25l15 back_resize.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 2,731
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I Have Finished My Standell 25L15 Clone

guitar88 said:
I have attached two pictures of the Standell 25L15 clone. It took a lot of digging on the internet and in books to come up with the schematic. I built this project because I had an original JBL D130 from the late 50s early 60s and I love Chet Atkins guitar playing. Chet used one of these amps for every one of his recordings from the late 50s until he died.

The amp uses two 12AX7s in the preamp, a 12AU7 driver, two 807s for the outputs and a GZ34 rectifier. It puts out right around 24 -25 wattts Class A push pull.

I have a Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman which I play through it and the sound is fantastic.

Oh My, I just noticed you only live about 20 minutes from me as the crow flys.
I grew up out near Sleepy Hollow, Dundee was my old stomping grounds when I was in high school.

Hey, any chance of getting a copy of the schematic? I have been searching for that one for a long time.

I have a OT I planned on using that came from an old PA that used 807's that I am just dying to build!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Additional Picture

guitar88 said:
Have added the front view. My problem on the original thread was how do you post more than one image at a time in a thread.

You can't directly, use imageshack to host the pictures and paste the links for all of the pix you want to share into your post. See tubewade's post for a link to imageshack. It's free and almost easy to use.. ;)

Yes, how about a schematic?

Schematic For Amp

Here is the schematic for this amp. Be aware that the original Standel was designed around the use of a JBL D-130 15" speaker. Hence the amp may not sound the same if something else is used. Since I already had the speaker this amp seemed like the logical choice to build.

Standel is making these again at a very hefty price. They even go out of their way to locate old JBL D-130s to be used.

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 2,871
Re: Schematic For Amp

guitar88 said:
Here is the schematic for this amp. Be aware that the original Standel was designed around the use of a JBL D-130 15" speaker. Hence the amp may not sound the same if something else is used. Since I already had the speaker this amp seemed like the logical choice to build.

Standel is making these again at a very hefty price. They even go out of their way to locate old JBL D-130s to be used.

Thanks!!

I knew Standel was making these again, But the price is as you mentioned pretty steep.

How accurate is the schematic to the original amp? Just curious, the current production schematic is as impossible to get as an original.

Once again, thanks for posting this!!

Trout

Many Thanks

Thank you everyone for the compliments on the amplifier.

I can't say that the schematic exactly matches the original. During my hours of digging up facts I found out where the tone control notch was, how similar the circuit was to certain Gretsch amplifiers, what class the amp ran in, the speaker used, the physical size, tube setup, etc. From all of the tidbits I was able to piece together the schematic. I have to say that I am pleased with the results.

I used a Hammond 272FX for the power transformer mostly because I had one on hand. A better choice would be the 273BX this gives a higher B+ voltage and would allow using a 5U4GB rectifier as the original used. I used the GZ34 rectifier because of the lower internal voltage drop, thus maintaining the same output power from the amp.

My output transformer came from an old Scott or Fisher stereo. It happened to have the correct impedences and physical size I needed.

Interesting thread. Thanks for the schematic. The front end looks to be based on Gretsch Chet Atkins amp?

DP-that Standel clone is beautiful, well done. Did you copy an existing amp or locate a schematic. It doesn't look like your o/p tubes are on the bottom chassis.

Whadaya mean 'not use Chet Atkins and awesome in the same sentence'......?

I found somebody with an original Standel that was kind enough to take measurements and photographs.
Also have the original schematic, and it is quite a bit different from the schematic made by guitar88 (pretty impressive making a schematic from scratch). I do hope your amp sounds great btw. A very big part of the sound is the JBL, using a D130 (or K130) is essential.

The wiring in the original Standel and the schematic where exactly the same. I was worried that the original amp had been messed with and would sound different from what you hear on the records.

Unfortunately I had to promise not to share the info (sorry).

The 5U4G is on the left (seen from the back) and the two 807's are on the right under the covers. Bottom chassis stands on shock mounts (the same ones as on the original). Pre amp tubes and phase inverter are on the top chassis.

Basically I made a 1:1 copy with as many original parts as I could find.

Made the logo in Illustrator and had that printed on a transparent sticker and stuck that to the back of a piece of plexi.

Here's the faceplate, did that the same way:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

PJD is absolutely correct. The JBL D-130 is very important to the sound.

The amp has a very clean clear sound and brings out the best from my Gretsch Country Gentleman. Unfortunately, I can't quite play like Chet Atkins.

The PJD clone is a piece of art. My next task is to cover my copy in tweed to give it a '50s look. Other than to give it the physical size I wasn't trying to give it the Standel appearance. I have the rectifier , phase splitter and outputs on the bottom chassis and the two preamp tubes on the upper chassis.

to PJD and Gtr88
I have to say a resounding 'well done' to both you gentlemen. PJD, I am totally amazed about how accurately you've finished the cab, logo and panel.

I tried a reissue 25L15 a couple of years ago here in the UK and at the time wasn't too impressed with the sound with my Gretsch CC. Maybe they aren't making them quite the same.....? (It looked great.) Or maybe I just didn't know how to set it up.

I tried an extensively tweaked Invicta amp last week, and was v. impressed with how that sounded and responded with my Gretsch NC. The nearest to the Chet sound I've ever got.

My comment about Chet was directed at Nhuwar, not quite sure what he meant.

Gentlemen, thank you for your kind words.

Bananafist:
Was the reissue a three knob? I can imagine that the version with added controls can sound very different from what a Standel is supposed to sound like.

My amplifier sounds amazing. It is the best amplifier I have ever tried, not because I built it, but because Bob Crooks did a great job.
Very odd that the reissue didn't sound good to you. I have shown my amp to several people, and they all are struck by the great sound. It is the best amplifier for steelguitar, (clean) rockabilly, jazz and country as far as I'm concerned.

The only other cool amp from the fifties is the EchoSonic (and that's my next project :D ).

hey, i noticed this thread has be inactive for a bit but i hope someone can help me out, im looking into building one of these amps using the provided schematic. ive built a few tube projects and fixed some, just need a had with component selection. i was looking at output transfromers, i was looking at the hammond 1650ha, or a 1750h. which would be the best choice (or even a totally different one)? also some recomendations on types of components (capacitors types in areas or the circuit) and would 1/2 watt resistors be sufficient fro a circuit like this, i noticed that there is a 175 ohm 10 watt resistor, this seems like a odd value at that wattage, and ideas on getting one? well i hope someone out there can give me a hand with these questions. looking to build this for use with my steel guitar. thanks alot everyone.

kaw-liga said:
hey, i noticed this thread has be inactive for a bit but i hope someone can help me out, im looking into building one of these amps using the provided schematic. ive built a few tube projects and fixed some, just need a had with component selection. i was looking at output transfromers, i was looking at the hammond 1650ha, or a 1750h. which would be the best choice (or even a totally different one)? also some recomendations on types of components (capacitors types in areas or the circuit) and would 1/2 watt resistors be sufficient fro a circuit like this, i noticed that there is a 175 ohm 10 watt resistor, this seems like a odd value at that wattage, and ideas on getting one? well i hope someone out there can give me a hand with these questions. looking to build this for use with my steel guitar. thanks alot everyone.

I would use a 180 ohm 10W wire wound mouser part number below. $1.75

The 5 ohm difference would be insignificant.

Mouser Part #: 588-20J180E
Manufacturer Part #: 20J180E
Power Resistors Wire Wound Vitreous Enamel
I like these because they are more compact than the ceramic style.

Most of the circuit could be 1/2W, though on Guitar amps I tend to use 1W carbon film.
I have used 1/2W carbon comp on many many builds, but even good quality ones tend to be noisy.

I would think that using the 1750H would be borderline to small.
Those are generally in a Deluxe Reverb 6V6's at around 22W

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5C_GuitarLine.pdf

One thing about Standel's, you want big big fat clean tones. A Big ole output trans is the way to go.
I think I would use an Edcor
http://www.edcorusa.com/products/transformers/cxpp/cxpp50-ms-7_6k.html