building spring reverb - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2009, 03:45 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

if you had one of the spring units with the 8 ohm input coil, you could concievably drive the coil with a small power amp chip like the LM386 (or something with a watt or less of power that sounds better) and use an op amp to amplify the "wet" signal out, then just use a couple more op amps for the input pre and the output mixer and buffer. it's not a real complicated device.
Old 17th June 2009, 03:48 AM   #12
Key is offline Key  United States
diyAudio Member

Heh the crash thing was actually one of the appealing aspects of a real spring reverb. I have plenty of emulators and impulses but nothing sounds like the real thing imo and I never have direct tracked a spring reverb - it's always been amplified and miced so I wanted to see how it would sound.

Fidelity isn't the biggest concern with this experiment really so passive loss doesn't concern me.

I have been planning to build a ton of weird outboard stuff myself - spinning speakers, passive summers etc.. just not many projects getting finished so I thought I would ask for advice on this one since I really have never worked on a guitar amp with the exception of swapping some pre-amp tubes.

For now I could always just re-amp with my fender deluxe and a mic but I really wanted to try direct tracking and see how it sounded.
Old 17th June 2009, 03:54 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I guess I am just not getting the signal flow. I am gathering it bit by bit from what I am reading. So going from what you are saying about a power amp and 8 ohms I take it my signal chain needs to be something like this.

Soundcard>Power amp>Spring verb driver>Spring verb transducer>pre-amp>soundcard

Is that correct or am I missing something?
Old 17th June 2009, 05:10 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

i wouldn't try to drive one of the 8 ohm coils with more than a few hundred milliwatts, but at the output end of the spring, there's about a 30db loss from the input (if not a whole lot more) that has to be made up for to come close to matching the input signal if it's to be usable as reverb. that's why the high gain amp at the output of the spring. the signal path inside the reverb unit looks something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg springreverb.jpg (25.6 KB, 217 views)
Old 17th June 2009, 05:15 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

See I doubt I can make one cleaner than what I already have with my pre-amps.

Mackie Onyx
Input Gain Control Range
Mic In:
0 dB to +60 dB
Line In:
20 dB to + 40 dB

I think you can drive a ribbon mic with the pres so it always seems like a bad idea for me to try and make one better. My other outboard mic pre is the FMR RNP which probably wont boost as much as the onyx but is also decent.

Also I don't want any dry signal at all. The mixing must be done in the multitrack for flexibility. Hard recording a dry signal mixed with a wet is usually avoided in modern recording/mixing.
Old 17th June 2009, 10:37 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I think this is what I am going for.
http://zerotronics.com/coolsprings/passive.html

"Electrically, they are surrounded by impedance-matching circuitry using high-quality mil-spec audio transformers. The internal wiring is balanced and the reverb pairs are connected in a hum-bucking arrangement to minimize external hum pickup. Chassis ground is connected to pin 1 of the input connector. For each output, pin 1 is connected only to the internal shielding of the output circuitry."

Also I finally found the spec sheets on Accutronics site. I might just email them and ask which set of i/o impedances is best because the device is not linear with impedance and it seems like it prefers a certain emphasis or something.
Old 17th June 2009, 10:48 AM   #17
Banned

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it but Rod Elliott has an article on spring reverbs, driving them etc., @ http://sound.westhost.com/project34.htm

w
Old 18th June 2009, 03:29 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I think I read that back when I first had the idea but will reread it.
Old 18th June 2009, 08:56 AM   #19
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

And why not go to the Accutronics web site and read up on the drive requirements and the output signal levels.

Some thoughts.

Ever notice bass amps don;t have reverbs? It just makes mud. Guitar amps typically feed the reverb driver with a signal with the bottom end rolled off. You might consider that when making up your drive circuits.
Old 18th June 2009, 11:00 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

the only delay effect that sounds good with a bass is a slapback echo with a mid and high boost.

Hide this!Advertise here!