electric bass guitar impedance and level - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2008, 06:42 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by makinson1
Bollocks! Well, I'm prejudiced. I think tubes sound better than solid state devices. I think black vinyl sounds better than CDs. I think mag tape sounds better than a hard disk. So there. Bollocks? Is that a Britishism? Something like ********? Is there a translator out there that can translate that into American?
So? They are your preferences and very far from universal.

As I used it, "bollocks" means BS in yankspeak.
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Goodwin
Bear in mind the OP has an active bass, not a passive one, so no need (or use) for a high impedance input as you would need for a passive bass. Most amps though have sockets for both, so it might be an idea to add both?.
Correct. Sorry to the OP, but when I said 'measure' earlier, I simply meant level. Some basses like Spectors with the Tonepump put out a very high level that often causes problems with some amps and pedals/FX, and some are unity gain.

Best bet is to record your bass into a soundcard, just playing normally (for you), then play as aggressively as you ever do. Check the peak levels as well as the averages. The volume envelope will allow you to experiment with the topology to set levels of say where clipping diode networks start to take effect, so you can optimise it more easily than just by ear. I often build MI amps using a number of recorded solo instrument pieces straight into the instrument input (via a pad). This way I get absolute consistency when experimenting as you (or anyone else) never play the same piece the same way at the same level twice in a row. When you feel you are close, play into it and experiment with ranges of settings more.

John Broskie (www.tubecad.com) had an excellent variable clipping network design a couple of years back. It can be made to work very well. You'll need to dig around to find it.

Bass O/P Z will be lowish but it will depend if there is a vol control at the output as some are configured, or if there is a buffer after it. Both are common. It should not present an issue for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Goodwin
[BValve amps have their uses, but it's mainly personal choice, and a decent transistor amp would be my choice for bass, as I like a clean sound, not the distortion and colouration of a valve amp. [/B]
True, and I've heard all sorts of players get great tone from greater and lesser basses and cabs. I want to hear what I'm playing, and not have it hacked by 12AX7's. Blech.
Old 9th April 2008, 06:44 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's just that when solid state amps are overdriven they clip the signal like a limiter rather than a compressor. I don't know if that simile works for you.
That is far from the truth. In some simple ccts, it is the case, but there are lots of ways to do it differently.
Old 9th April 2008, 09:02 PM   #13
teemuk is offline teemuk  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
John Broskie (www.tubecad.com) had an excellent variable clipping network design a couple of years back. It can be made to work very well. You'll need to dig around to find it.
Do you mean this one? http://www.tubecad.com/2006/05/blog0066.htm
Old 10th April 2008, 06:20 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by teemuk
Do you mean this one? http://www.tubecad.com/2006/05/blog0066.htm
Yep. By varying the gain driving it, the clipper supply voltages and perhaps even the network values, a neat sounding variable clipper can be made. I've used it on some tube (clean sounding) ccts with success when experimenting
Old 10th April 2008, 11:26 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

actually there are some SS amps out there that will compress. it's actually done to keep the amp from clipping. another series of SS amps has a soft clip circuit in ithe preamp that has a characteristic very similar to a tube output stage (not in pro audio.... it was NAD consumer audio). which gives a rounded clipping and keeps the amp itself from clipping. i have designed a tube preamp that gives a nice tube sound, through a SS amp (as have a lot of others), but mine uses submini tubes and will fit inside a guitar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subminit.jpg (25.6 KB, 167 views)
Old 10th April 2008, 12:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Ditto. When was the last time a high-end audio company advertised " Our tube amp is so good it sounds like transistors" ? Just check out any of the onliine reviews of amps like the Manley's, Audio Research Corp, VTL, BAT. As for tape being dead, you'd be astonished to learn how many of the top recording studios still use 24-track tape to track to before they dump it to the Apple hard drives and ProTools. Why do all of the top mastering studios use 2-track Ampex ATR machines? http://www.atrservice.com/
Old 10th April 2008, 02:19 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Little brothers !?! They're both boxers and will respond in kind. Over here that's called hitting below the belt.
Nothing wrong with hitting below the belt, I teach martial arts (Ju Jitsu), hitting (or kicking) below the belt is a favoured technique

He's got a lot to be blamed for, that Marquis of Queensbury!.
Old 10th April 2008, 05:38 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Actually my little brother Jack Makinson won the 1999 US Open Karate Championship in his class although his training was in South Korean Tai Quan Do. I probably misspelled that.

Hide this!Advertise here!