Building a 2X15 guitar cab. help! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2008, 07:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Building a 2X15 guitar cab. help!

I have an old cab from like the 70s and i want to make a new cab for the speakers.

The cab contains 2 15inch 16ohm speakers. i was wondering how i could wire those together for 8 ohms.

I have a line 6 spider 3 head with two 8 ohm outputs on the back. could i wire 2 inputs with 1 speaker to each in the cab? or would this not work

I really am not to smart with wiring.

And I have never seen another 2X15 guitar cab :-( is there a reason for that? i love the lows of the 15s though!

Please help me out. thanks
Old 27th February 2008, 07:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Do this and only this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1366.jpg (77.6 KB, 536 views)
Old 27th February 2008, 08:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Building a 2X15 guitar cab. help!

Quote:
Originally posted by darkesthour
And I have never seen another 2X15 guitar cab :-( is there a reason for that?
Aesthetics. The footprint of the 4x12 cab is the standard so everything can be stacked. That's why you often see 4x10's and 1x15's made to the same dimensions as the 4x12. Of course, that's no reason to not build your cab exactly how you want it.
Old 28th February 2008, 01:08 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default been thinking

thanks for the help.

I was thinking about how dumb a 2X15 cab would look.

So maybe i could just buy two 10's or 12's and possibly build 2 different cabs with one 15 and one (10 or 12)

Or 1 cab with 2x15's and another cab with two 10's or 12's

just a suggestion though. As long as both cabs are wired for 8 ohms each it would work i think.

Let me know what u think about that>?

heres a few pics of this piece.

Speakers(http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...***/amp006.jpg)
(http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...***/amp001.jpg)

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...***/amp002.jpg
Old 28th February 2008, 09:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

BE CAREFUL !!
If your amp is the Line 6 HD150, it has two outputs of 8 ohms minimum each, this amp is stereo and you canīt use only one of the inputs or connect them in parallel.
If this is the case, you can connect one 16 ohms speaker to each channel. The amp can handle speakers with more ohms but not with less. If your amp is the HD75 (like mine) you can connect the speakers in parallel to obtain 8 ohms because this amp is mono. Donīt worry to ask about.
Old 28th February 2008, 04:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: been thinking

Geez, maybe it's my age, but I would prefer the cab they're already in Why don't you just invest in new vinyl and grille cloth and restore that cab?
Old 28th February 2008, 07:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If this is the case, you can connect one 16 ohms speaker to each channel

If he does this,will the amp will not produce as much power as it could into 8ohms?
Old 28th February 2008, 07:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aidan135711
If he does this,will the amp will not produce as much power as it could into 8ohms?
Depends. On some Line 6's each output has it's own LM3886. If this is what he has then 1 driver per chip is the batter way to go.
Old 28th February 2008, 08:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly

Depends. On some Line 6's each output has it's own LM3886. If this is what he has then 1 driver per chip is the batter way to go.
But what I mean is ,should'nt an 8 ohm speaker sound louder(on volume setting 5 for example) than a 16 ohm on the same volume setting?
By the way do yous like my new avatar?
Old 28th February 2008, 09:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: been thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Andronico
BE CAREFUL !!
If your amp is the Line 6 HD150, it has two outputs of 8 ohms minimum each, this amp is stereo and you canīt use only one of the inputs or connect them in parallel.
If this is the case, you can connect one 16 ohms speaker to each channel. The amp can handle speakers with more ohms but not with less. If your amp is the HD75 (like mine) you can connect the speakers in parallel to obtain 8 ohms because this amp is mono. Donīt worry to ask about.

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly

Geez, maybe it's my age, but I would prefer the cab they're already in Why don't you just invest in new vinyl and grille cloth and restore that cab?
Well I have played out of this cab using only 1 output for about a year and had no problems.

Id really like to use the full power of my head though, so only using 1 output doesnt seem good.

And yea this cab is OLD! got it outa some old ladys basement for free so i cant complain. I really dont like the looks of the cab though, id much rather build a new 1 for it.

would 2 15's fit in a typical 4X12 size cab? Kinda like this.
(http://www.vadercabinets.com/sitebui...g.w300h336.jpg)

Wow people on this forum actually help, thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!