how much power should give guitar ??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2008, 06:17 PM   #1
prorms is offline prorms  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to prorms
Default how much power should give guitar ???

iam not not sure how much power should give guitar is 1/2 volt or 1volt to make it function right
Old 19th January 2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

i don"t understand your question....You don"t give a Guitar any Volts ,you play a Guitar You don"t give it Volts...

A Guitar can Put out anywere from 0.1v up to over 2v depending on the type and number of Pickups.....

Maybe if you explained your question in more detail you would get a better responce to your question(s)...

Cheers
Old 19th January 2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member

Some acoustic guitars use pickup microphones. They use batteries and sometimes have built-in EQ's.
Old 20th January 2008, 12:58 AM   #4
prorms is offline prorms  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to prorms
i clear up the problem my guitar was not gettting any power form the preamp i put 2 resistors to vcc and vss or v+ and v-
give it 600mv what difference thier value 2.2m at the very start of the circuit as long as dont give amperage will burn out the coils
make sure connect guitar cable the postive to the circuit and ground to the ground the powersupply i have has a postive and a negetive and a ground before get horible hiss noise when the guitar volume was turn about 1/2 way when guitar is hookup to the preamp the meter only reads 5 mv
Old 20th January 2008, 02:33 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by prorms
i clear up the problem my guitar was not gettting any power form the preamp i put 2 resistors to vcc and vss or v+ and v-
give it 600mv what difference thier value 2.2m at the very start of the circuit as long as dont give amperage will burn out the coils
make sure connect guitar cable the postive to the circuit and ground to the ground the powersupply i have has a postive and a negetive and a ground before get horible hiss noise when the guitar volume was turn about 1/2 way when guitar is hookup to the preamp the meter only reads 5 mv
I've no idea what on earth you're on about?, it's a complete load of rubbish!.

Assuming it's a passive guitar there's no power required of any kind.
Old 21st January 2008, 09:54 AM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmmm.........

Pretty high of standard of gibberish and not too good English.
I can surmise you are on about the correct biasing of your pre-
amplifier input transistor, if this is AC coupled as should be
then there is no issue with "burning out" the coils.

Its fairly obvious to most of us how to connect the input cable.

Presumably you have not got to correct R.F. input filtering .......

/sreten.
Old 30th January 2008, 02:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to guitar_joe
what on earth....

does the guitar work at all?
Old 30th January 2008, 02:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

it sounds like he is trying to put power through the pickup coils for some odd reason???? and that he pre-amp has a lot of hiss. maybe he is trying to apply bias to the pick ups as some way of reducing hiss????

Pick ups are like a (dynamic) microphone. they do not require power to be applied to them.

Now i wonder if he has active pickups in his guitar. in which case there is a small preamp in the guitar usually run by a 9V battery. sometimes two 9V batteries for basses. I wonder if thats what he talking about???
Old 30th January 2008, 07:25 PM   #9
petarkb is offline petarkb  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Why are you all assuming dynamic pickups? Those days they sell acoustic guitars with piezos and a preamp (and EQ!) so cheap that even people with really really bad English can afford them (just kidding).

Then again, it doesn't make much sense, if the guitar came with the piezos and the preamp it wouldn't need fixing.

To the OP:
1) Is the guitar solid-body or acoustic?
2) Did it come with the preamp?
3) Did it work before?

If you answer those questions, people will help you.
Old 30th January 2008, 08:06 PM   #10
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
I've tried Babelfish in all known languages (and Welsh) and still cannot work out what he means!

I'm not sure but I think he may have solved his original question in post 1 and created another?

"I clear up the problem."
"My guitar was not getting any power form [from] the preamp."
"I put 2 resistors to vcc and vss or v+ and v- [to] give it 600mv."

gobbledegook

"The power supply I have has a positve and a negative and a ground."
"before get horible hiss noise when the guitar volume was turn about 1/2 way"
"when guitar is hookup to the preamp the meter only reads 5 mv"

Give up...

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!