Adding Line Ins to Yamaha Clavinova CVP-7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Live Sound > Instruments and Amps

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2007, 06:42 PM   #1
DinoBob is offline DinoBob  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Adding Line Ins to Yamaha Clavinova CVP-7

Hey, I have a question for you regarding an amp of sorts. And I am fairly handy but am not what I would call knowledgeable about electronics.

I just got a Yamaha Clavinova CVP-7 (for free!). It was made in 1986. The keyboard (76-key) is great, the cabinet is great, and the built-in 30wx2 amp and speakers are great. I love the idea of just siting down and turning it on as opposed to setting up a keyboard on a stand, plugging in the pedal, hooking up to an external amp, bla bla bla.....

BUT...the one weakness of the 1986-era piano is the 1986-era sounds. The piano is, well, 1986. It won't fool ya, unlike these awesome new ($$$$$$) Clavinovas.

So, my solution is to buy a Kurzweil MIDI module and use the sounds from that, which I know will be great. The thing is fully MIDI-able and the implementation charts match up for the pedals, etc... The Kurzweil is a little 1/2 rack with feet and even a front power switch so it will just sit unobtrusively right on the piano lid.

Here's the thing: The Yamaha has no line in, and I want very badly to output the Kurzweil module back to the piano's built-in amp. I want a self contained unit, you know?

So....can I add line ins to my Clavinova? Would it be as simple as tapping into the master volume, running from the hots to the hot pins of a set of RCA or 1/4 inch jacks, commons to ground, and installing the RCA jacks somewhere in the panel of the Clavinova? Maybe using a DPDT switch inline to switch back and forth between the internal sounds and the Kurzweil module's outputs (this is all stereo, by the way). There are RCA line out jacks on the Clavinova's panel and I would be willing to cannibalize those as I can not for the life of me see myself using the built-in tones for recording, ever.

If you have any thoughts let me know. Thanks!
Old 7th December 2007, 02:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I was able to address this. The power amp section is a completely separate board and I was able to remove the piano lid and trace the cable that runs from pre to power amp. I'll simply jumper in there and add a set of jacks and I'm all set.
Old 8th December 2007, 03:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Or maybe not. I realized this would not address the issue of using the external module's sounds through the headphones, which I really want to be able to do. So I need to go in somewhere pre-headphoen jack. I guess I'll give the lid another lift and have a look once more.
Old 17th December 2007, 06:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've pulled my hair out trying to troubleshoot my old CVP-7. It has a glitch that causes it to freeze up if too much input from the keys. It seems to have something to do with the PCB. If you rehaul or trash your CVP-7, can you sell me the circuit boards from it?
Old 24th December 2007, 01:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I saw yours on Craigslist, it looks like you have given up on it, which is sad. I love this piano. I have gotten very attached to it and even more so lately.

I did solve my issue; I wound up making a cable that connected to the preamp in, and adding a jack to the underside of the piano for the line in. Best of all, the external MIDI program patches can be controlled by the piano, the Stereo Symphonic still functions, as do all the rhythyms. The only thing that does not work are the bass and chords which I did not really use anyway. The work is 100% reversible as well. The volume is controlled by the piano's master volume too. My only other enhancement might be to set up the external MIDI synth to power on and off by way of the CVP-7s power switch.

This thiing is essentially a primitive computer; it would be hard to solve your issue, I am guessing. Someone with experience in repairs of this unit would probably be the only one who could help.

I do have the service manual and would be glad to send you a copy.
Old 16th November 2008, 01:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Clavinova ROM Music Book

Does anyone know where I can get the old Clavinova ROM Music Books that will work on my Yamaha CVP7?
Old 8th April 2009, 07:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hey DinoBob,
Do you still have a copy of the CVP7 service manual. I just got a CVP7 that powers up but then doesn't do anything. I was hoping the service manual will give me a little direction.
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Did you ever solve your issue? Sorry, I never saw this post.
Old 10th January 2011, 11:13 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi, I too am working on a cvp 7. If that service manual is floating around, I would GREATLY appreciate a copy of it. My email address is CHRISR7ten@yahoo.com, but that word "ten" is actually the number ten. I was a Yamaha tech for several years, perhaps I could contribute to adding that line in, esp if I had a service manual.

As far as that keys 'overloading' issue, I have never seen that per se. But I have seen many boards that the physical force of pressing many keys at once, or pressing them hard, causes a loose component or a component with broken solder, to work loose, and lock up the unit. I have found that components attached to heat sinks: voltage regulators, transistors, amp ic's, tend to be have broken solder and are often the culprit. That's my 2 cents! You can see if just tapping on various areas also causes it to lock up!
Anyway, if someone can send me the manual, that would be great!!
Old 11th January 2011, 06:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ooo-err

I'd ask a mod to take your e-mail address down, send it via PM. There's a lot of spam servers out there...

Hide this!Advertise here!