Troubleshooting Crate G40C amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello forum folks,
Newbie here, so please bear with me. I am seeking guidance on steps to take to repair a Crate G40C amp.
The beast will power up (indicator lights come on for power and channel selected), but NO sound. No sound through headphones either.
I did manage to obtain a schematic from Mackie.com (a big THANK YOU to Chrys in Tech Support). However, a basic stepwise approach to diagnosing the problem is needed.
I realise this might be simple stuff to most of you...but almost Greek to me! :xeye: However..... I am trainable!
Any assistance with figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

BTW.....if this post is in the wrong place, please accept my apologies and relocate it as needed.

G40C repair

I don't know what type of repair instruments you have, but I ususlly check the power supply voltages first. My schematics only go back to 1999 and that was made in the late 1990's. If all the voltages are good, I then check the amp, which is a stereo amp in this cabinet. Can you hear any hiss out of the speakers at all? Check for any cracked solder joints at the input jacks and controls. The Crate amps have had a bad problem with the line out and amp in jacks on the back panel. If these have a dirty connection the amp goes mute. Besides that you would have to trace the signal with an oscilloscope to see where the signal is and isn't. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply!
I will follow your suggestions and see what I come up with.
No oscilloscope...but might be able to borrow one. Multimeter is best I can do now.
No noise at all out of speakers.
I do have schematics from Mackie.com but I needed basic knowledge to start searching this out.

Maybe I will get lucky and it be something simple.

Any other helpful thoughts would certainly be most welcome!
Thanks again.

Schematics ???

mandomaniac said:
Thanks for the reply!

I do have schematics from Mackie.com but I needed basic knowledge to start searching this out.

Please, attach the schematic if it's in electronic form (pdf). Maybe others of us can help you...

Did you smell any smoke anytime in your amp? Is your amp stop working at once, when you play it, or after long pause?

In any case, don't worry. I'm sure you can repair the beast with help of some of us.

;)

ski-o-matics

Hey mando, could you please email me a copy of the schematics? I happen to have one open here, in front of me, that craps out on loud transients...likely capacitors, but it would be nice to have a copy of the schematic.

As for your troubleshooting... Do you have any output at the line out jacks on back?

my email is toastmiami2 at yahoo ... thanks

6 string reply...

That first input went quick, connector wore out in under a year. It's a pretty obvious repair/fix once you open the chasis.

As for the 5 sec. fade out - it could be a power supply issue, maybe a bad capacitor - easy check with a meter. Does sound ever return? What about if it is kept at low volumes? Does it last longer?

troubleshooting crate g40c

HI

i have the same amp and one day it did the same thing. just turn on with no sound ,

What i did was took it apart 4 screws and resoldered the traces, i smelled for any burnt components because if you know burnt components have a distinctive smell to them. No burnt components fortunately and just resoldering the main traces where the power comes in and the traces solder points at the input jacks, recitifier and the voltage regulators. Put it back together and it was fixed. Anyway good luck with your troubleshooting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.