Need help with monitor earphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to build a monitor earphone piece for my guitar. The whole band, at this point of time has to listen to the same mix coming through our monitor speakers and this is affecting my playing. I want to build myself a small ear piece whereby I can hear only myself playing...I don't need anything wireless at this point as I want to try it out first. Is there anyone that can help me with something like this?

HMK said:
I am trying to build a monitor earphone piece for my guitar. The whole band, at this point of time has to listen to the same mix coming through our monitor speakers and this is affecting my playing. I want to build myself a small ear piece whereby I can hear only myself playing...I don't need anything wireless at this point as I want to try it out first. Is there anyone that can help me with something like this?

Isn't the whole point of monitoring so that you can hear the rest of the band?, if you can only hear yourself you're surely going to be an absolutely useless guitarist?.

In order of importance for monitoring in a 'normal' type of band.

1) drums
2) bass
3) guitar
4) vocals

I was thinking about much simpler. If I make or buy a small "junction" bax that has one input and two outputs

input - guitar
1st output - sound desk
2nd output- to earphones via box that I will explain now.

If I build a box that I can clip to my guitar strap, compiled out of a small 2W or so amplifier that has a input on the one side and an output on the other. Input will be connected to 2nd output on "junction" box that comes from guitar. Output I will plug in small earphones.

Can maybe add a potentiometer to adjust volume.

Will make a drawing and explain

OK, on the 'as well as' and not 'instead of' :D

For a 'junction box' you might consider a Behringer DI box, they do a double one at a very cheap price (I have two of them, and find them absolutely brilliant!). You can use them as two seperate DI's, or you can flick a switch and joint them together - so one unbalanced guitar input, and too low impedance balanced outputs, one to PA, one to your earphone amp.

Currently I use one in seperate mode to feed bass and guitar directly to two channels of the PA, for my daughters two person band. When they had a drummer as well I used one on for guitar in joined mode - guitar input and one out to PA and the other out to a keyboard combo that has balanced low impedance inputs (so you can't plug the guitar directly in).

Yes drummer_Dave I meant to get back to you with a design idea I have. I have been swamped here. I will try to email you today. My new idea is a little more complex but would be awesome. Basically a full service board to take care of all that we are talking about and be the main studio board.

What amp are you using to play through, and does it have a preamp out/power amp in option? £34.00 for a passive unit seems excessive to me. Even if you went active it is easily doable with a handful of cheap components if you just cut into your amps internal preamp/power amp connection.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I announce the Peemixer (personal mixer) for band practice!!!

I see a simple little box with a headphone amp, two inputs and one or two outputs, and two pots.

One input is from your guitar pedal or amp lineout.

One input is from the main mix.

The output is optional, if you need to route the signal onward to the mixing desk and your effects unit has only one output, or to daisy chain the main mix signal to other little Peemixers.

I see each input buffered and sent to each side of a pot, with the wiper of the pot connected to the next buffer. This will control the relative level of the two inputs. The buffered signals are also available at the outputs for daisy chaining or further routing.

I next see a level control, so you don't blow your ears out.

I finally see a single opamp with some small transistor current buffer, connected to a headphone output.

So a single TL071, a couple of transistors and caps, and two pots later you have a nice personal mixer. Keep everybody else out of your mix!! Youll need some sort of a supply, a 9v wallwart will do fine, with a simple resistor network to provide the half-supply. There will be coupling caps too, but we're not going hifi, so electros will do fine.

Seriously though, it's nice to not strain to hear yourself playing. Have fun!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.