peavey 5150 combo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
looking to make a 2x12 to go with my 5150 combo amp. i know how to make the box, but not sure how the wiring needs to go, and whats with the ohms. will my amp have enough watts to power two more 12's, will i need some sort of booster. any help would be appreciated and a major bonus for me.

dogomias said:
looking to make a 2x12 to go with my 5150 combo amp. i know how to make the box, but not sure how the wiring needs to go, and whats with the ohms. will my amp have enough watts to power two more 12's, will i need some sort of booster. any help would be appreciated and a major bonus for me.

According to the 5150 instruction manual I've just downloaded from Peavey the 5150 is an amp, not a combo?, but perhaps they did a combo version as well?.

The manual says it's a 120W valve/tube amp, with switchable output impedance, 4/8/16 ohms.

Does you amp have the impedance switch?, and what impedance are your existing speakers?.

I presume you are aware that you won't get any more power from the amp?, just the same amount of power spread across more speakers.

im not near my amp at the moment but i do know it has a switch on the back not sure what it is right off hand, will post that asap but here are the specs for the combo amp.
60W
Closed-back cabinet
2 - 12" Sheffield 1200 speakers
2 footswitchable channels
Reverb
3-band EQ
Resonance
Presence
5 - 12AX7 preamp tubes
2 - 6l6 power amp tubes.
its pretty loud but wont really stand up to a half stack. i really like the sound. what would be a good solution.

Like I said before, you need to know what impedance your existing speakers are, how they are connected (series or parallel) and what impedance the amplifier can be switched to - only then can you decide what speakers you can add, and what impedance they need to be.

But like I also said, it will still only output the same power as previously.

A 'good solution', as you like the sound of the combo, would be to mike it through the PA - as it stands, a 60W valve combo is already MUCH too loud for acoustic drums, so presumably the drums are miked through the PA?.

dogomias said:
will spreading the wattage out across 4 speakers instead of 2 actually affect the volume levels. cuz thats what my goal is really to be louder without killing my gear, or burning a hole in my pocket.

If it does it won't be very much louder - you're still only getting the same power.

As the drums are miked, mike your combo as well, having loud on-stage amps often results in a really poor sound because the PA man can't do anything about it - apart from break the guitarists fingers - which is usually my personal desire! :angel:

Nigel Goodwin said:

Interesting idea?, but that's not how it works!.

Hmmm........

It is how it works. You need to read up on your acoustics.
Generally for n drivers efficiency increases according to 10 log n.
(edit : the price you pay is n times the box volume)

For 9 drivers in a 3x3 series parallel arrangement = + 9.5dB.

Also note 2 drivers in parallel are 6dB more voltage sensitive,
3dB due to acoustics and 3dB due to the halved impedance.

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.