Terry Crabbe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, what exactly makes for a bona fide "audio personality", anyway? While I can't be entirely certainly how widely known he might have been to the audio retailing or DIY audio communities writ large, as the primary force behind Sound Hounds since the mid 70's, and one time employer to myself and DaveD, Terry was very well known and revered locally.

After several years of declining health, Terry finally passed this weekend. I think a large hall will be needed to do justice to celebrating the life and accomplishments of this bear of a man.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Terry’s passing is sad. He was a very instrumental person in my early life, and with him in the lead, learned huge amounts about hifi, and had the chance to meet many luminaries in the business.

He hired me more or less right out of University, right after a disagreement with my boss in Edmonton had me looking for a new hifi job. Sound Hounds was one of 3 firms that offered me employment, and i jumped at the chance to move to Victoria where i have been ever since.

Terry was a big guy, well over 6 ft, long red hair, and a black belt (3rd dan?) in Taekwondo. He was fun, and he could be intimidating. He could smoke any of us under the table and i am glad that, for that, i did not meet him till after i had finished University. There are lots of stories :).

The last time i saw him was when he came to visit me in the hospital after a dialysis session. We had a good talk and his joy at me recovering and not loosing any appendages was very heartening (i was just starting to be able to use a 2-wheel walker at the time).

Terry had kidney issues in his later years, on dialysis at home for a long time before getting a kidney donation, ultimately having those rejected. Lose of a leg due to complications and 4 out of 7 days spending 3-7 hrs on dialysis and often heavily under the influence of a drug regime, his last days would have been a struggle.

He is survived by wife Cherl, a daughter, and a grandson (that was rasied as if their son). Also by the crew at Sound Hounds that was like family.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.