Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Memoriam A place to remember diyAudio members, mods, and other audio personalities no longer with us....

RIP Peter Aczel
RIP Peter Aczel
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2018, 07:51 AM   #11
Patrick Bateman is offline Patrick Bateman  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow, I just read about this. Peter Aczel was a huge influence on me:

My interest in audio was largely inspired by car audio. In the early 90s there was a huge car audio scene in SoCal, and I was deeply invested in it. The late Peter Mitchell wrote for both Stereophile and Car Audio and Electronics, and his articles in the latter got me interested in the former.

By 1992 or so I was a full on audiophile, reading articles about which loudspeaker cables were better, comparing different capacitors, and painting my CDs with green pens.

There were a couple of events that got me out of that scene:

1) I read an interview with Richard Clark in Car Audio and Electronics where he basically praised the virtues of waveguides and TEF

2) I stumbled across "The Audio Critic" at a newsstand in Los Angeles after going to some rave

Those two events basically steered me into the world of horns, waveguides, high efficiency, good solid engineering and the merits of James B Lansing.

What a complete bummer, I wish I had a chance to meet these guys. Years ago I heard that Richard Clark had read some of my posts online and wanted to talk to me, but I never bothered to follow up. I wonder if he's still around?

RIP Peter AczelHide this!Advertise here!