Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Memoriam A place to remember diyAudio members, mods, and other audio personalities no longer with us....

Chris Strahm of LinearX has Passed Away
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2017, 07:07 PM   #11
Michael Rothacher is offline Michael Rothacher  United States
AudioMaker.Tech
diyAudio Member

My condolences to Chris' family. So sorry for their loss.
Old 15th February 2017, 08:15 PM   #12
HTEC is offline HTEC
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
The only issue I have with a refund is that I've been looking forward to owning an LX500 for more than five years now! If Susie can get someone to take over the project and promise an actual product, even if it doesn't have all the capabilities Chris envisaged, I'd even be prepared to kick extra cash into the bucket (and I've already paid in full). My guess is that most of the 130 people who've committed would be prepared to do the same, which would be a powerful incentive for someone to take on the project.
Totally agree. I'd be happy to wait if there was any chance that the LX500 could be finished.

Does anybody know how close it was? There have been very few updates over the last couple of years
Old 15th February 2017, 08:42 PM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

ARHPG - I'd opine that LinearX will not be the only such company - essentially one man operation - from which we hear similar new over the next few years.
Old 19th February 2017, 12:06 AM   #14
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Dongles

Why not try & copy the data/files etc, from the linearx dongle onto a USB stick for eg ? Might be worth a try, especially as USB sticks are cheap. Plus i doubt if you would need a large capacity one.

Sad & bad news about his death. I don't have any of his gear, but i hope someone can take over the business etc for the sake of others. As at least one LX500 exists @ LinearX, plus i expect circuit diagrams & PCB's etc as well, it should be possible to duplicate them.
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:22 AM   #15
baco99 is offline baco99  United States
diyAudio Member

WOW! This is very sad news. I did not know Chris nor his family, but I recently acquired a used copy of LEAP (and dongle) and have just begun unraveling the mysteries that this software hides. My deepest condolences to the family as I am sure this is a very troubling time.

I am wondering if anyone from Physical Lab, or any members here, are willing to provide informal tech support for LEAP users...? I'm having some configuration issues and could use some troubleshooting help. Please message me if you have intimate knowledge of the software.

Sincerely,
Brian
Old 7th March 2017, 11:16 AM   #16
Physical Lab is offline Physical Lab
diyAudio Member

Hello,

If you have problems with LEAP you can contact us and we will try to help you. The company is not sold yet so I have no news. As you know such things need some time...
Old 12th March 2017, 09:50 PM   #17
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Considering the circumstances, the Moderators feel those who are concerned about business dealings should do that elsewhere. This is a thread about someone's passing.

Posts removed.

Thank you for your understanding.
Old 30th March 2017, 12:34 AM   #18
DaveThreshold is offline DaveThreshold  United States
diyAudio Member

I just now found this out here. I am shocked and saddened to hear this news. About six months ago, I was taking a look at the LinearX page to see the latest. I think of the struggles he had with the LX-500, which included many vendors drying up. One time he had an entire shipment of a device that was completely out of spec. THEN he had to move his entire plant because somebody bought the industrial block and threw everybody out. While they were building a new fresh plant, it was hit with severe rain damage in the middle of the almost finished construction.
I never met him in person, but talked with him on the phone a number of times. Every time I had to take that virtual handle on the side of my head and wind it up a few times to keep up with what he was saying. Years ago, I bought LEAP Four on floppy disks. After it was upgraded, LEAP 5 and LMS for windows. Five was a bit scary at first, but I managed it in time. To watch the values of the crossover components change as the response would flatten out was a GEEK BLAST for me!!
One engineer wrote him a thank you note on the forum. The gentís job was to figure out how the front of a television would affect the cheap speakers used in it. He said that LEAP 5 nailed the response perfectly, on a T.V. with an oddball, angular front. That prevented them from building ten or so prototypes.
This has wrecked my day as he passed away, way to young.
Much moreover, my most heartfelt condolences go to his family and friends.
Old 27th April 2017, 05:50 PM   #19
rjsalvi is offline rjsalvi  United States
diyAudio Member

Was looking up the LinearX website and after some sleuthing, found this thread. Whoa! I *am* sorry. My condolences to Chris's family as they uncoil his life and work. Godspeed.

Robert J. Salvi
Ambiance Acoustics
Old 9th July 2017, 09:08 PM   #20
ValterVmAudio is offline ValterVmAudio
diyAudio Member

Default Repair LMS din LinearX

Hi I'm Italian and I'm new to this forum.
I only know with sadness now that Linar x no longer exists. My condolences to the family
I need to know how I can fix an old din LMS card
Can you give me a reference email / contact?
Thanks for collaboration
Valter Manara

Chris Strahm of LinearX has Passed AwayHide this!Advertise here!