Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Holton Precision Audio High quality, high performance amplifier modules and accessories

Old 1st July 2018, 10:21 AM   #1
kffern is offline kffern  Australia
diyAudio Member

Nxl800 amp
Default Nxl800 amp

Hi
I recently bought the amp built by hyper My NXL800 Amp Build
Really impressed with its ability to drive my kingsound King electrostatic! I used to biamp with a mini- DSP 4x8 but I have know reinstalled the crossovers and they have never sounded better. I run the subs through the minidsp with the stats straight from the amp.

However with a transformer half the recommended I am wondering what I am missing out on. Should I get a 2k VA transformer or power the input stages with a smaller transformer with or without a nxvolt unit or 2? Would anyone be interested in a Supreme 1200VA transformer? The nxvolt instructions Anthony sent me don't mention the 800 amp. Will one nxvolt power 2 X nxl800 amps? If so do I need one 200va transformer?

Or, should I just get a 200va 2x65v transformer and an unregulated supply. I can get a 300va, 2x 60v toroid for around $130 from element14. A 200Va from toroidal will cost around AUD 250.
Or, should I be happy with a great amp at a great price?

All sugestions welcome.
Thanks,
Kffern

Last edited by kffern; 1st July 2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 1st July 2018, 10:24 AM   #2
kffern is offline kffern  Australia
diyAudio Member

Nxl800 amp
PS. I was later told that it was actually a 1200Va 2x 60v (not 65v) transformer from toroidal
Kffern

Nxl800 ampHide this!Advertise here!