My NXL800 Amp Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I've been meaning to start post on my new build of my NXL800 for a while now and my procrastination in posting has only been exceeded by my procrastination to actually starting my build! Which has been my excuse for the former :)

I've decided to build an NXL800 in single chassis in trusty Modu 55cm case

The BoM thus far:

- NXL800 Amp Modules

- HPA Power One R3.1 Mains Controller

1 x 1200VA Supreme Toroidy 2 x 65VAC

4 x Mundorf 47,000uf caps - 94k each side

- Vishay 35A - 600v Bridge Rectifier

- Vishay 5W - 15k Bleeders

- 1 x 55cm x 21cm Modu Case

- Mundorf 3.9uf Evo cup coup caps

- Med Grade Fused IEC Housing with Filter

- DIY PCB board for bleeder, fuse & grounding.

- Boring old angel eye switch :) (had a few lying around)

- Cable LAPP 12AWG for power & 22AWG (Insert something copper) signal.

- Faston/ORing connectors

The Build Begins..

I had somewhat of a false start on the build due to the amp chassis kit arriving with a drilled base plate from hifi2000. I wasn't aware I had to request a blank base plate - 50 euro later and a week of delays the new base plate arrived, lesson learned! :eek:

So the start of the build aim was to mount the transformer and caps, easy enough I thought?!!

Well the 1200VA Tranny from Toroidy is a dam beast! At 23cm, nearly 10inches and weighing probably on 45 pounds or so it isn't the lightest going around. It mounted to the plate with a large M10 bolt.

When I first mounted it I realised the logo was upside down. 'No one is going to see it what does it matter?'

The OCD in me took over and off it came to get the plate feed out hole the right way and bolt it back down :) Next to mounting the power caps. For huge caps they have impressively low ESR some Im hoping for a good result from these guys.

Note to one's self, it's always easier to mount feet on baseplate prior to mounting heavy objects on top! Theres my word of wisdom for the day! :scratch:

Already with just the caps and transformer mounted Im quickly running out of real estate!

I've diy a small little PCB board to house the bleeder and fuses for post caps which should land tomorrow so come this weekend, it will be onto mounting the AC controller, wiring IEC, power supply and testing before moving onto the amps.

Here is a few pics of the progress thus far.. Its my first large amp build so be kind :)

Thanks for listening, stay tuned!

EDIT: Photo Upload Crashing! Stand by!

Attachments

• IMG_6768.jpg
    IMG_6768.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 657
  • Bleeder Board.JPG
    Bleeder Board.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 652
  • Bleeder top.JPG
    Bleeder top.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 643
  • Bleeder Board side.JPG
    Bleeder Board side.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.