Building a NXV-500 r2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After selling 4 of my UCD400AD's it was time for something new. At first I thought to try class A again but then I had the opportunity to buy a not to expensive NXV200. I've been wanting to hear one of the Aussie-Amps for a long time now but nobody in my neighborhood seemed to have any interest in these amps. This was a good chance for me to try them. When the NXV200's arrived I was surprised by what I heard: a very, very good amplifier. But that was my opinion and one opinion doesn't tell very much... So I took it to a diy-gathering at a small village nearby called Earnewoude. This is a small event and everybody is talking a lot :) After arriving I hooked up the NXV200 and fired it up. After the first couple of seconds music, everybody stopped talking, sat down and listened. After the first track everybody started asking questions about this strange amp. I answered the questions and we listened to some more music... The NXV200 stole the show!

At home I had discovered that, altough the amps were sounding amzing, I needed more power. So I sold my last set of UCD400AD's and bought a set of HPA NXV-500 r2's. While Anthony was building them for me I started to collect the other parts I needed. In this topic I will post some pictures to show the progress I made. Since Anthony's amps are sold as modules I do not expect to encounter big bumps on the road to a complete finished amp.

First parts I scored were some very cheap 1000VA 220VAC-2x50VAC transformers. Because we use 230VAC over here the secondary voltage will be a bit higher (about 52.3VAC). These are big and heavy...

Attachments

• Trafoos.JPG
    Trafoos.JPG
    430 KB · Views: 1,480
Last edited:
Making aluminium strips on which the NXV-500 will be mounted. I bought Modushop cabinets which have two heatsinks on each side. Strips make a thermal connection between the two sinks. Would have preferred a single heatsink on each side.

Attachments

• Alu strips.jpg
    Alu strips.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 1,405
The power supplies from Hypex were on sale so I bought a set originally intended for a UCD700 because they have 100 caps on board. And DC protection. Board between the PS is a 230VAC relay for using a small switch on the frontpanel to turn the amp on/off (in combination wit some NTC's). But today I found a softstart from ebay on my doorstep which was sent to me by a friend :). Going to use these for turning the amp on/off.

In the mean time I finished the aluminium strips. Now I'm waiting for a big tube of thermal grease (is that what it's called?) to mount the strips to the heatsinks.

Attachments

• Kast indeling.jpg
    Kast indeling.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 1,333
Looks like everything fits as planned...

Found out that the Ebay softstarts do not really work as they should work. It switches on as planned but will only switch of after 10 or 20 seconds...
I now have a solution with a 230VAC relay and NTC's.

Attachments

• Even passen.jpg
    Even passen.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 847
Its looking good.
I recently built the basic short form kit (nxV200 R2). Sounds really good, yours should be sensational.
I didnt have any problems with Aussie amps soft starts, worked as it should from the start. Had a few problems with the speaker protectors, but thats all good now.

Look forwards to seeing the end product, enjoy.

Thanks Paul! The softstart I tried came from Ebay. It just does not function the way I want it to function. I switched to NTC as softstart and I'm using 230VAC relays so I can use a small on/off switch.

As for sound: I also have the NXV200 shortform, hope the NXV500r2 performs even better but I would be satisfied if it sounds more or less like the NXV200 because that is already an amazing good amp. I'm still a bit surprised these range of amps don't get more attention on the internet.

Attachments

• Softstart ebay.jpg
    Softstart ebay.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 804
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.