SmartDAC-One

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone

Soon to be released The SmartDAC-One

Features will include

High quality Burr Brown DSD1794A 24bit/192kHz DAC
Input selection via Two Channel SRC4392 Sample rate converter
3 x Digitally selectable SP/DIF, AES and TOSLINK inputs.
AES and I2S Outputs
Balanced Inputs and Outputs as well as RCA Unbalanced.
PC or iMAC connectivity via USB or Ethernet connection.
Digital Volume and Input selection via Quadrature control.
Volume and Balance setting displayed on LCD or OLED display.
Built in upgradeability with high speed ATMEL 400mhz ARM Processor.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For more info and pictures see the link below...
http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/DAC-1.htm

SmartDAC-One Update

Here is a further update on the PCB progress.
The PCB is a 4 layer design and we will be finalising the PCB layout in the next 24 hours and the PCB layout will be commited to a PCB board run and a production prototype could be assembled in as early as weeks times. So things are starting to really more along now.

If any of you would like to be placed on an email update list please drop me an email and I will place you on it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Everyone

The SmartDAC Project is one step closer to completion with the
first production prototype shown below.
We still have some more software development to do, before final release.
But we are expecting to have it available by Christmas 2009 if all goes well.
More information to follow soon.

If you would like to be placed on an update notification list, please get in contact with me via the following email address aussieamplifiers@bigpond.com.

Wny LME49740 op amp?

Burson HD Audio Opamps... sound better....
HD Audio Opamp

Hi PCS

The Burson opamp may well sound better, but it is not a practical device to use
in a commercial product, such as the SmartDAC.
It much too large.
The LME49740 is an excellent device and does sound very good indeed and because of the small packaging is we suited to the application it is applied to in the SmartDAC. :)

The Burson op amps can sound very good indeed but need rails higher than ±15V to perform at their best and even then there are op amps that can do a better job more simply, with less heat and smaller. I've used both the Burson op amps and their buffer but were replaced by op amps.

Is the LME49740 similar to the LM4562 but a quad?

The Burson op amps can sound very good indeed but need rails higher than ±15V to perform at their best and even then there are op amps that can do a better job more simply, with less heat and smaller. I've used both the Burson op amps and their buffer but were replaced by op amps.

Is the LME49740 similar to the LM4562 but a quad?
o

Hi Peter

So what opamp did you replace them with in the end?

Too answer your question , The LME49740 is the quad version of the LM4562.
The idle current in these opamps is quite high and it makes the 14 pin package, run quite warm indeed. :)

o

Hi Peter

So what opamp did you replace them with in the end?

Hi Anthony

I went with the AD825 for a while and then changed to the LM4562. Very happy with the result and these were used on the output stage of CD players plus one buffer. I tried lots of others such as LM6171, OPA627, OPA2604, OPA2132, OPA2134, AD843 etc and were mostly used to replace 5532 or 4558 in CD players.

I found the LM4562 very forgiving in application and didn't need any special tricks or power supply requirements so tended to drop straight in without hassles. I've had it running with various voltages from ±5V to ±15V. There's something very neutral about this op amp that doesn't get in the way like most others. Most of the others have good sonics in various areas but there was always a down side... that included the Burson op amp as can be a bit over blown in certain applications. The LM4562 may not be the best op amp in the world but works extremely well for my needs and tastes.

Last edited:
I have been waiting to here news of the DAC and have put off purchasing something else like the Sabre 32 based Eastern Electric, Audio GD's etc.

Any news Anthony?

Hi Willie

The SmartDAC has been completed and we are now working to finish off the touch panel interface for the SD.
The SmartDAC will be made available for sale with and without the interface board.
Currently I am using the SmartDAC without the interface front panel as shown below in the photo.
It has the Infrared receiver mounted directly onto the main PCB and the quadrature controller on the right handles the digital volume and input selection and of course a Universal remote control handles all of the above.

You can purchase right now a SmartDAC without the front panel interface
But with the Infrared and Quadrature controller as shown and it will also come with a universal remote control pre-programmed to control the SmartDac. The cost of this option is $800.00AUD plus postage of $30.00AUD.

Cheers

Anthony :)

Another thing I should mention is every SmartDac sold also gets free firmware updates for life. :D
DIY Amplifier - Audio Amplifier Modules - MOSFET Amps - Audio Electronics - Power Amps

Last edited:
Thanks Anthony, any reports on the "sound" at this point?

Without putting a to fine a point on it.
Its sound bloody amazing!
We used my Logitec Squeezebox as the music source and tried out the SDAC on the Optical and SPDIF outs of the Squeezebox.
The performance increase was overwhelmingly obvious. The sound stage opened up like I had never heard it before.
Some of the music we listen to was Norah Jones, both Mike’s and my jaw dropped to the ground with how great it sounded.
My wife came in at this moment and her emediate response was “ it’s just like been there in the Club, sitting two tables from the front of the stage, you can hear her breathing into the microphone and with all of the layers of other instruments. It’s so real”
So suffice to say we are very happy with the sound quality and as you would expect from this device, the sound comes from an inky black background of no noise at all.

So yep we are very happy with its performance. :D

Cheers

Anthony
(DIY Amplifier - Audio Amplifier Modules - MOSFET Amps - Audio Electronics - Power Amps)

I'd like to use this as a digital preamp with one of your amplifier kits. The source will be USB2.0 with CUDA FIR processing. Everything will be controlled via PC, so an additional interface isn't important for my application. Any ideas on final cost without the interface?

How much better is the performance with isolated optical connections compared to USB2.0?

Last edited:
I'd like to use this as a digital preamp with one of your amplifier kits. The source will be USB2.0 with CUDA FIR processing. Everything will be controlled via PC, so an additional interface isn't important for my application. Any ideas on final cost without the interface?

How much better is the performance with isolated optical connections compared to USB2.0?

Hi thadman

Sorry for the late reply, I forgot to get back to you...:)

The SD in its current form does not stream audio from the USB port.
This is currently been used for software updates only.
This function needs further software development before this option will become available.
Mike who is developing the software is currently out of the country for about a month, so this has placed the SD on hold for the moment.

Actual audio performance between the USB and Optical is much the same.

We had built 10 units of the current SD and we just need to finish the boot loader, before they will be released as the DIY version without the touch panel interface. it will however they will come with details on how to add LED
interface.

Cheers

Anthony

Flac

Anthony,

Will this DAC decode the FLAC format ... or would a PC be used to send via SPDIF. I kinda wonder if the PC converting FLAC into the SPDIF protocol would be any less clean than having the DAC decode FLAC directly. Does anyone know if this would somehow result in a loss of audio info?

Best Regards,
Theo

Hi The Saint,

Your DAC is very intersting. I have some question.

Refer to the block diagram in SRC4392 datasheet at page 40. How do we know how much of X*Fs will gonna be (assumed that RXCKOD is set to be divide by 1)?

The information of PLL2 in datasheet, is unclear for me, stated that
" .... The available PLL2 output clock rates include 512fS, 256fS, and 128fS. The maximum available PLL2 output clock rate for a given input sampling rate is estimated by internal logic and made available for readback via status register 0x13."

We can read the maximum available o/p clock rate at register 0x13 and in term of maximum avialable it sound like we don't know the exact clock rate. For example1, if the status register 0x13 is 512*Fs (suppose to be maximum available) so the o/p clock rate can be 512*Fs or 256*Fs or 128*Fs. For example2, if the status register 0x13 is 128*Fs I'm exactly know that the o/p clock rate must be 128*Fs, right?

Could you please elaborate about my questin on above?

The layout that you posted previously. You split the clock signal from oscillator to SRC4392 and PCM1792, I would like to guest you used 24.576MHz? I seems if the soucre is not 48Khz, 96KHz, and 192KHz then it will be upsampling to be these rate. For example, in = 44.1kHz out = range of 48kHz to 192KHz (upto the setting) ?

:confused:

Thanks,
Moddang.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.