I need a Green solution for Class A power amp cooling - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Heatsink USA

Heatsink USA Extruded aluminum heatsinks, specializing in small custom cut orders

Old 8th September 2013, 05:23 PM   #1
oltos is offline oltos  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I need a Green solution for Class A power amp cooling

I want to cool the external chassis-actually the heatsinks-of this Class A biased audio power amp https://passlabs.com/products/amplifiers/xa.5/xa30.5 I intend to operate below its 30wpc rating so as to enjoy the sweeter sound quality of its Class A bias region. However, in that power range, its heatsinks will reach temps between 53 and 55 degrees C. I hate having that much heat in my not-so-large listening room and kicking on the air conditioner-nor contributing to global warming.

Incidentally, though the amplifier uses 200 watts at all times, I really only get time for music listening on the weekends and maybe once during the week. And as one of the roofs of my split level home is all solar panels, most of our electricity is free and green.

This firm had great success for cooling cpu chips Mobo maker builds 'powerless' processor cooling fan ? The Register but they had the luxury of building the stirling engine right on top of the CPU chip. I can only collect the heat emitted from the external heatsinks-I would never risk any internal re-engineering, at least not on my own. So I thought of affixing the right amount of this expensive 3M thermal conducting tape http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...SevTSeSSSSSS-- )
to at least 3 of the 6 heatsink fins per side and then somehow converging them to stick on to the heat accepting end of a stirling engine like this one

ThinkGeek :: Stirling Engine Kit

Can anyone put me in touch with a design engineer who can offer an earth-friendly way for me to enjoy this otherwise beautiful sounding amplifier by converting its heat output to any other kind of work ?
Old 8th September 2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

I would go with a good 3/8" or more thick base plate instead of a heatsink and use Arctic Cooling Thermal Epoxy to glue the Stirling engines to the base plates.

However I don't know how well even 3 of these engines per side would cool the amplifier.
Old 8th September 2013, 06:41 PM   #3
oltos is offline oltos  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I need a Green solution for Class A power amp cooling

Base Plate? Do mean like drilling/bolting and/or thermal epoxying slabs of copper to one or more of the heatsink fins? Please know, I'm talking about this pre-built and tested amplifier

Pass Labs XA30.5 Stereo Power Amplifier - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

And what I explained that I'm looking for is someone to determine what, if
any solution can be implemented to convert most of the heatsink radiation to mechanical work, suggest someone who can do the work and then give me a ballpark figure on the cost. Trust me, if I had the time and the know-how, I'd do it myself.
Old 1st February 2014, 05:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltos View Post
[FONT=Arial]

Can anyone put me in touch with a design engineer who can offer an earth-friendly way for me to enjoy this otherwise beautiful sounding amplifier by converting its heat output to any other kind of work ?
Offers a great solution AKVABLOK ??????????? ???????????? ??????????? - YouTube and even roller ??????????? ???????????? ???????????. ?????2 - YouTube

Hide this!Advertise here!