new 10.125" wide heatsink - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Heatsink USA

Heatsink USA Extruded aluminum heatsinks, specializing in small custom cut orders

Old 8th June 2009, 08:44 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

OK I didn't want to sound judgemental either but I came off the wrong way. I never intended on breaking rules, I SUGGESTED this as an option, which was all it amounted to, an option...

As for your suggested option, I'm affraid it's actually Russell's option and why he has an Ebay store in the first place. $46 plus shipping gets you a 12" section, he'll cut it for free (when the saw is fixed) and your done. I doubt your going to be able to get two 5" sections shipped for $50, your talking $30 for the heatsinks and $20+ shipping. We're trying to get more than one piece my friend if I was interested in a few small pieces I'd order from the Ebay store and be done with it myself.

I'm not trying to argue a point here, just that when in your situation your better off with the small purchase online. We as a group need other options I'm assuming or we wouldn't be looking for options. This really dosen't beat R-Theta in any way as there really is no comparison, your talking a $46 order compared to a minimum of $250 from a commercial manufacturer. I'm sure if we talked to Claudia and stated we needed 15' of a similar extrusion there would be no doubt it would be cheaper than Russ, but I have no interest in arranging a group buy.

Take care Syn08, Peace.

d
Quote:
Originally posted by syn08

If you plan to bend the rules, why don't you keep this private, between yourself and your mates into this kind of rule benting business?

I have suggested an option for small customers as myself: 2 x 5" sections for under $50 is the best of all worlds. No taxes (US or Canadian) reasonable shipping (under 20lbs, fits in a flat rate box), no brokerage fees, Canada Post will drop it at your gate. This is a good way to beat the r-theta prices and I would happily go for it, if possible.

Over and out.
Old 8th June 2009, 09:00 PM   #52
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by jtktam

go register a business name, and then sign up with UPS as a business for brokerage purposes.. they don't charge you those high rates

-joe

Got a registered business name - incorporated as well.
I have just shrugged and accepted it before, too busy (and lazy) to look for a cheaper alternative since it's only a once a year thing.
I will take your tip and contact UPS before my next order.
Thanks.
Old 8th June 2009, 10:55 PM   #53
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by speakrsrfun
OK I didn't want to sound judgemental either but I came off the wrong way. I never intended on breaking rules, I SUGGESTED this as an option, which was all it amounted to, an option...

As for your suggested option, I'm affraid it's actually Russell's option and why he has an Ebay store in the first place. $46 plus shipping gets you a 12" section, he'll cut it for free (when the saw is fixed) and your done. I doubt your going to be able to get two 5" sections shipped for $50, your talking $30 for the heatsinks and $20+ shipping.
Aaargh... And you said you are aware of how things are rolling in the customs Yes, you were judgemental, and obviously I'm talking about $46 plus shipping. The value for custom purposes is the price paid ($46), not including postage. So all I want is 2 x 5" sections for max $46 + $20 = max $66 all inclusive, delivered at the door. This would beat the r-theta total price by $15/pc.

This is a good solution for any small canadian customer, if Boss agrees to. Not asking about who is "we", and why don't you get the stuff from r-theta if it's cheaper, anyway. Peace.
Old 9th June 2009, 01:47 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

Try not to get frustrated Syn, I think we're both missing eachothers point here slightly. Now that you've made it clear that your intended spendature is $66CDN then I understand totally why your looking at that price point.

If you've kept reading the thread as I asume you have the answer to why I'd prefer to buy off Russ is in there, I prefer to help the guy helping us. R-Theta unfortunelatly did not offer a profile to the DIY community, Russ did.... I never said a singular buy fron R-Theta would be cheaper, I stated if we arranged a larger buy it more than likely would be, another option.....

Lets get back to the thread at hand and that's finding out if the buy through Russell is worth the effort or if we can do it cheaper on home turf, once again a matter of shipping, not duty, taxes or other related tagged on tarriffs we are forced to pay, Peace and keep well.

Quote:

Aaargh... And you said you are aware of how things are rolling in the customs Yes, you were judgemental, and obviously I'm talking about $46 plus shipping. The value for custom purposes is the price paid ($46), not including postage. So all I want is 2 x 5" sections for max $46 + $20 = max $66 all inclusive, delivered at the door. This would beat the r-theta total price by $15/pc.

This is a good solution for any small canadian customer, if Boss agrees to. Not asking about who is "we", and why don't you get the stuff from r-theta if it's cheaper, anyway. Peace.
Old 9th June 2009, 09:53 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
things are rolling
To make you guys feel better, some other folk are hurting their braincells on how to cheapscate a single 400K lbs piece of Aluminum in, and then Out of BC again.

Informative thread though, the amusement level is pretty ok as well.
Old 8th July 2009, 11:39 PM   #56
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey folks, be patient...........if you can.

Just spoke with Russel and he is having a new die produced for his large HS, the last one wasn't perfect, or, up to HIS standards. Cool.
We like high quality products.
He is expecting to be able to sell them in about 4-5 weeks.

Solder something in the meantime while you are waiting...

Ron
Old 12th July 2009, 01:24 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Default large heatsink

Hey Guys
I bought 2 of the large heatsinks(12") from Russ
I spoke to him on the phone-nice guy.
The two pieces arrived in a single shipping box for $10 and change to my place of business in Maine. No Problem with the shipping.
I will say I'm a little disappointed with the product and think that it will be worth the wait for the new extrusions. My sinks are not flat,slightly concave, need deburring, and two of the fins on each sink have to be filed down from some left over slag from the cutting. These are also no anodized.
When Russ has his new process up and running I think these are some questions that will need to be asked so you know what you are recieving. I think these will be great for my F5's and will post pictures when they are done but thought you would benefit from my experience.
Have a good-un
rob
Old 12th July 2009, 02:17 PM   #58
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Default Re: large heatsink

Quote:
Originally posted by rob lenk

My sinks are not flat,slightly concave, need deburring

Thats what I expected

But I also have expencive quality heatsink that arent perfectly smooth either

If thats a demand, they all need grinding like the Conrad heatsinks

But sure theres a limit to how much you can grind
Old 12th July 2009, 03:35 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Default heatsink quality

Hello ,
i really had 2nd thoughts about selling these heatsinks before the die gets final approval to run,but i have been trying to get product out and ive become so frustrated with the string of bad luck on getting these right,They arent too bad thats why i sold the few feet of sample i had. I GAURANTEE THE QUALITY WILL BE TOP NOTCH WHEN IT IS ALL SAID AND DONE.THE RESPONSIBILITY LIES NOW WITH THE EXTRUSION COMPANY AND THEY CAN NOT QUIT UNTIL THEY DELIVER PRODUCT THAT IS COMPLETELY WITHIN INDUSTRY STANDARD TOLERANCES.
THEY HAVE ORDERED ME A BRAND NEW DIE SO WITH WHAT THEY KNOW ALLREADY THIS COULD RUN RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.I HOPE IT DOES BECAUSE I HAVE A HUGE DEMAND FOR THIS HEATSINK
THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE
RUSS
Old 15th July 2009, 10:40 PM   #60
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

In defense of Russ,
I pleaded with him for a leftover set (his last ones) of defective heatsinks...............he would NOT sell them to me because he wants to be know for selling quality, not crappy heatsinks.

Rob, what was the price/quality of Russ' heatsinks compared to similar heatsinks you have purchased in the past?
How many 1,000s was it out of flatness?
How large an area bigger than the chip do we need?
(I'm new to this stuff)

Here's your choices as of right now, wait for Russ' or pay lots more for Avidd, wait for slow boat from Australia.

I'm open to other options tho?????????????? HELP!!!!

Ron

Hide this!Advertise here!