new 10.125" wide heatsink - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Heatsink USA

Heatsink USA Extruded aluminum heatsinks, specializing in small custom cut orders

Old 8th June 2009, 01:25 AM   #31
jtktam is offline jtktam  Canada
diyAudio Member

I run an import business and can broker the heatsinks if you want to ship them to Niagara Falls NY and I will take care of drop shipping the rest from Toronto

-joe
Old 8th June 2009, 07:12 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

That's what I want to hear Russ, but unfortunately I need possibly 6-8 feet of this heatsink and shipping has got to be pretty high for 72-96lbs of heatsink.... Although the prospect of beating R-theta's pricing may seem appealing the reality of paying for the shipping is still there. Yes R-Theta will charge anyone in Canada GST and in Ontario PST, and that’s a 13% price increase. The only feasible way I can see this being economically probable is if we use a US drop address like suggested, but who is going to pick up the cost for shipping them to the Niagara NY location, and how will the pickup and shipment be arranged once they arrive at the Canadian distribution point?

I’m planning on building vertical towers as a design for my F5’s that will be used beside the current speakers they will be powering. So the 12” height is a good trade off, amps being roughly 12X12X10.5” W/H/D, although huge they will also make a visual statement….

Lets see what us Canadians can work out and then make a decision as to whether we should give Russ the go, Just a suggestion. My Mother always says to me to this day “Think before you jump” and I guess it kind of rings true in this instance, variables, variables.... Peace and keep well.
Old 8th June 2009, 01:17 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I figure the freight would be split between the buyers to get to Niagara falls, then from there it's probably just a short trip to pick it up..

-joe
Old 8th June 2009, 02:20 PM   #34
syn08 is offline syn08  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by speakrsrfun
That's what I want to hear Russ, but unfortunately I need possibly 6-8 feet of this heatsink and shipping has got to be pretty high for 72-96lbs of heatsink.... Although the prospect of beating R-theta's pricing may seem appealing the reality of paying for the shipping is still there. Yes R-Theta will charge anyone in Canada GST and in Ontario PST, and that’s a 13% price increase. The only feasible way I can see this being economically probable is if we use a US drop address like suggested, but who is going to pick up the cost for shipping them to the Niagara NY location, and how will the pickup and shipment be arranged once they arrive at the Canadian distribution point?

I’m planning on building vertical towers as a design for my F5’s that will be used beside the current speakers they will be powering. So the 12” height is a good trade off, amps being roughly 12X12X10.5” W/H/D, although huge they will also make a visual statement….

Lets see what us Canadians can work out and then make a decision as to whether we should give Russ the go, Just a suggestion. My Mother always says to me to this day “Think before you jump” and I guess it kind of rings true in this instance, variables, variables.... Peace and keep well.
Driving over the border with a large quantity of heatsinks (or, as a matter of fact, any other merchandise) is unfortunately not a solution. The same customs duty rules apply for such travels: $50 w/o taxes for a 24hours or less travel in the US. One may of course take the chances, but that's not me Do I miss something related to the "US drop point" concept?

Funny enough, the other way around is $200 (to import in the US w/o taxes).
Old 8th June 2009, 02:28 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

for me, a lot of my suppliers don't ship to Canada because of the cost of shipping and the custom paper work involved

an exhaust system, for example, cost over $120 to ship from California to Toronto, but the supplier was willing to ship the same item to NY for free with UPS ground..

I clear the customs when I cross the border, and even after paying the taxes it still works out cheaper than getting it shipped here

-joe
Old 8th June 2009, 03:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally posted by jtktam
for me, a lot of my suppliers don't ship to Canada because of the cost of shipping and the custom paper work involved

an exhaust system, for example, cost over $120 to ship from California to Toronto, but the supplier was willing to ship the same item to NY for free with UPS ground..

I clear the customs when I cross the border, and even after paying the taxes it still works out cheaper than getting it shipped here

-joe
UPS, FedEx, you name it, are all horrible ripoffs. They charge obscene amounts for brokerage with ground shipping (even if nothing is owned) and obscene amouts for shipping by air. Usually, one ends up paying about the same amount, disregarding the shipping method.

USPS/Canada Post charge only $5 brokerage, and only if taxes/fees are owned - and this is what Russell is using with the flate rate box. For small customers like myself, 2 x 5" sections in a flat rate box would mean:

- low shipping cost
- no taxes (US or Canadians) offseting the shipping costs.
- no brokerage fee.

Look at it from this perspective: I'd rather ask Russell to ship 4 sections in two flat rate boxes and let Canada Post dropping them at my door, rather than in one USPS box with high shipping cost, owing taxes and a drive to the post office to pay and pick the stuff.

Of course, for somebody looking for large quantities, your method could be more effective. But then why not opening a Russell Boss Canadian reselling operation? We'll then all deal with a Canadian reseller rather than EBay, etc... Not that I'm willing to open such a business...
Old 8th June 2009, 03:10 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

i would have considered it if there was a big enough market for it. I do speciality car parts and they are all made in the USA

canada post still charges brokerage ($5 - $10) plus taxes if you get dinged for customs charges btw..

i was just offering up an alternative.. if it still cost cheaper to ship direct then I would probably do the same

-joe
Old 8th June 2009, 04:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally posted by jtktam
if you get dinged for customs charges btw..
This is US manufactured merchandise - no custom charges apply, disregarding the quantity. Canadian taxes (GST+PST) only if cost is over $50.

Thanks for the heads up, again, large quantity orders may benefit from your generous offer for customs brokerage of such shippings.
Old 8th June 2009, 04:22 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

even getting charged the gst+pst (not sure about the $50 limit) will still be considered "custom clearing"

so the fee still applies even if "duty" is not levied

-joe
Old 8th June 2009, 05:38 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Hey Syn08 how would you suggest a guy like myself ships the 70-100 lbs of heatsink to Canada?

Syn08, you seem to be the only one interested in a smaller quantity and here in lies the reason Russ has a Ebay store, for folks like you Syn08 who only need two 5" sections. I'm not trying to be an arsehole here, but to be honest if your not interested in contributing a valid way to ship the heatsinks don't post, your pessimism isn't needed, but your input and a solution are.

I need Heatsinks for Two stereo F5's and a Couple of Aleph-X's and either way I go I'm going to have to pay for the cost of the heatsinks, what I'm trying to avoid is the $100USD shipping charge and the duties included individually if you ship on your own, specifically if your shipping over 6 feet of heatsink.

EDIT: GOOD POINT Just remember on your way through to state your going to pick up an item from a friend, and when you return same story. There are ways around having to pay the duties on the items, I have people send items as GIFTS from Ebay frequently and never get dinged with a duty surcharge. All in all this can be arranged it’s just how smart we are with our methods that will determine our outcome. I personally don’t need these Heatsinks until Mid-Summer so I’m in no real rush to do so, but I would still like to prepare for the time when it arrives and I’m sure that’s what others are doing here currently, Peace and keep well.

Hide this!Advertise here!