• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

new 10.125" wide heatsink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This may work, R-Theta may still be cheaper for us Canadian folk though, I'll contact them direct and see what we can get that's similar, Get back to you with the results..

jtktam said:
I have a US drop site in Niagara falls (right over the bridge)

I would be willing to get a groupbuy together if you guys want and drive over to pick it up

-joe

speakrsrfun said:
This may work, R-Theta may still be cheaper for us Canadian folk though, I'll contact them direct and see what we can get that's similar, Get back to you with the results..

jtktam said:

lmk either way because i wouldn't mind getting together to buy from R-theta

-joe

A few months ago I ordered and received from R-theta 6pcs. of 9019 profile http://r-theta.com/products_standards_aluminum_profiles.asp , each 6" long, for CAD276.15 (all inclusive, shipping by FedEx overnight was $17, not worth a long drive from my place in upper Richmond Hill to Mississauga for a pick up). Got them at the door in three days.

9012 profile costs almost the same, but it's usually not in stock, you have to wait about three weeks.

R-theta has officially a minimum order of $250, but just ask and they'll waive it.

BTW, for the use of PayPal, you have to count nowaday the canuck buck at 80 US cents.

How does one order from R-Theta exactly? I've tried contacting them and placing orders but I never hear back....The last one I contacted them about was going to be over $500 worth of heatsinks and nothing but crickets? I remember them once asking for a GST number a number of years ago and so forth, so do you need to be a business to place an order?

By the way Russ, the new sinks look great! If I can't get R-theta figured I'll do business with you again, it's just pricey to get big sinks like that shipped up North:(

Tristanc1 said:
How does one order from R-Theta exactly? I've tried contacting them and placing orders but I never hear back....The last one I contacted them about was going to be over $500 worth of heatsinks and nothing but crickets? I remember them once asking for a GST number a number of years ago and so forth, so do you need to be a business to place an order?

By the way Russ, the new sinks look great! If I can't get R-theta figured I'll do business with you again, it's just pricey to get big sinks like that shipped up North:(

Claudia Taylor
Inside Sales Representative
R-Theta Thermal Solutions Inc.
(T) 905-795-0077 Ext. 214
(F) 905-795-2508
Email: ctaylor@r-theta.com

Give Claudia a shout, she'll be happy to help you, individual or business. They take a credit card over the phone.

10.125 inch heatsink

i still dont know what im paying for this heatsink yet.i will probably have a special price and way to ship these to canada as soon as i know what i have to pay,one major problem is with the weight these are 12 pounds a foot and flat rate box weight is max 20 pounds
as soon as my saw is running ill be able to cut these down to peoples needed sizes, i will beat thetas prices this die was made for diy people
Russell Boss

Attachments

• tn_img_3337.jpg
    tn_img_3337.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,293
Re: 10.125 inch heatsink

barrredboss said:
i still dont know what im paying for this heatsink yet.i will probably have a special price and way to ship these to canada as soon as i know what i have to pay,one major problem is with the weight these are 12 pounds a foot and flat rate box weight is max 20 pounds
as soon as my saw is running ill be able to cut these down to peoples needed sizes, i will beat thetas prices this die was made for diy people
Russell Boss

Great news Russell! Isn't competition great? :)

Can't wait to place an order with you!

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Re: 10.125 inch heatsink

barrredboss said:
Russell Boss

That's an impressive profile, Russell. Very nice.

..Todd

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Russell,

I doubt that too many people have chassis ready for exactly a 12" tall
heatsink, and 12" is not the most efficient size for cooling.. You are in a perfect position though.... You can give the option of cutting the lengths to 10" or whatever even dimension is below 10 lbs each- maybe 10.125 ;) and allows 2 to fit in the box..

With 2 in the box and we are then getting the most shipping for our buck!!

Variac said:
Russell,

I doubt that too many people have chassis ready for exactly a 12" tall
heatsink, and 12" is not the most efficient size for cooling.. You are in a perfect position though.... You can give the option of cutting the lengths to 10" or whatever even dimension is below 10 lbs each- maybe 10.125 ;) and allows 2 to fit in the box..

With 2 in the box and we are then getting the most shipping for our buck!!

This would help from another perspective as well... If the price for 1pc falls under $50, then there's no canadian taxes due at the border. One Canuck north of border could get 2 x 5" sections for an amp tax free! And another 13% to beat r-theta (at least in Ontario).

That's what I want to hear Russ, but unfortunately I need possibly 6-8 feet of this heatsink and shipping has got to be pretty high for 72-96lbs of heatsink.... Although the prospect of beating R-theta's pricing may seem appealing the reality of paying for the shipping is still there. Yes R-Theta will charge anyone in Canada GST and in Ontario PST, and that’s a 13% price increase. The only feasible way I can see this being economically probable is if we use a US drop address like suggested, but who is going to pick up the cost for shipping them to the Niagara NY location, and how will the pickup and shipment be arranged once they arrive at the Canadian distribution point?

I’m planning on building vertical towers as a design for my F5’s that will be used beside the current speakers they will be powering. So the 12” height is a good trade off, amps being roughly 12X12X10.5” W/H/D, although huge they will also make a visual statement….

Lets see what us Canadians can work out and then make a decision as to whether we should give Russ the go, Just a suggestion. My Mother always says to me to this day “Think before you jump” and I guess it kind of rings true in this instance, variables, variables.... Peace and keep well.

speakrsrfun said:
That's what I want to hear Russ, but unfortunately I need possibly 6-8 feet of this heatsink and shipping has got to be pretty high for 72-96lbs of heatsink.... Although the prospect of beating R-theta's pricing may seem appealing the reality of paying for the shipping is still there. Yes R-Theta will charge anyone in Canada GST and in Ontario PST, and that’s a 13% price increase. The only feasible way I can see this being economically probable is if we use a US drop address like suggested, but who is going to pick up the cost for shipping them to the Niagara NY location, and how will the pickup and shipment be arranged once they arrive at the Canadian distribution point?

I’m planning on building vertical towers as a design for my F5’s that will be used beside the current speakers they will be powering. So the 12” height is a good trade off, amps being roughly 12X12X10.5” W/H/D, although huge they will also make a visual statement….

Lets see what us Canadians can work out and then make a decision as to whether we should give Russ the go, Just a suggestion. My Mother always says to me to this day “Think before you jump” and I guess it kind of rings true in this instance, variables, variables.... Peace and keep well.

Driving over the border with a large quantity of heatsinks (or, as a matter of fact, any other merchandise) is unfortunately not a solution. The same customs duty rules apply for such travels: $50 w/o taxes for a 24hours or less travel in the US. One may of course take the chances, but that's not me :( Do I miss something related to the "US drop point" concept?

Funny enough, the other way around is $200 (to import in the US w/o taxes).

for me, a lot of my suppliers don't ship to Canada because of the cost of shipping and the custom paper work involved

an exhaust system, for example, cost over $120 to ship from California to Toronto, but the supplier was willing to ship the same item to NY for free with UPS ground..

I clear the customs when I cross the border, and even after paying the taxes it still works out cheaper than getting it shipped here

-joe

jtktam said:
for me, a lot of my suppliers don't ship to Canada because of the cost of shipping and the custom paper work involved

an exhaust system, for example, cost over $120 to ship from California to Toronto, but the supplier was willing to ship the same item to NY for free with UPS ground..

I clear the customs when I cross the border, and even after paying the taxes it still works out cheaper than getting it shipped here

-joe

UPS, FedEx, you name it, are all horrible ripoffs. They charge obscene amounts for brokerage with ground shipping (even if nothing is owned) and obscene amouts for shipping by air. Usually, one ends up paying about the same amount, disregarding the shipping method.

USPS/Canada Post charge only $5 brokerage, and only if taxes/fees are owned - and this is what Russell is using with the flate rate box. For small customers like myself, 2 x 5" sections in a flat rate box would mean:

- low shipping cost
- no taxes (US or Canadians) offseting the shipping costs.
- no brokerage fee.

Look at it from this perspective: I'd rather ask Russell to ship 4 sections in two flat rate boxes and let Canada Post dropping them at my door, rather than in one USPS box with high shipping cost, owing taxes and a drive to the post office to pay and pick the stuff.

Of course, for somebody looking for large quantities, your method could be more effective. But then why not opening a Russell Boss Canadian reselling operation? We'll then all deal with a Canadian reseller rather than EBay, etc... Not that I'm willing to open such a business...

i would have considered it if there was a big enough market for it. I do speciality car parts and they are all made in the USA

canada post still charges brokerage ($5 - $10) plus taxes if you get dinged for customs charges btw..

i was just offering up an alternative.. if it still cost cheaper to ship direct then I would probably do the same

-joe

Hey Syn08 how would you suggest a guy like myself ships the 70-100 lbs of heatsink to Canada?

Syn08, you seem to be the only one interested in a smaller quantity and here in lies the reason Russ has a Ebay store, for folks like you Syn08 who only need two 5" sections. I'm not trying to be an ******** here, but to be honest if your not interested in contributing a valid way to ship the heatsinks don't post, your pessimism isn't needed, but your input and a solution are.

I need Heatsinks for Two stereo F5's and a Couple of Aleph-X's and either way I go I'm going to have to pay for the cost of the heatsinks, what I'm trying to avoid is the $100USD shipping charge and the duties included individually if you ship on your own, specifically if your shipping over 6 feet of heatsink.

EDIT: GOOD POINT Just remember on your way through to state your going to pick up an item from a friend, and when you return same story. There are ways around having to pay the duties on the items, I have people send items as GIFTS from Ebay frequently and never get dinged with a duty surcharge. All in all this can be arranged it’s just how smart we are with our methods that will determine our outcome. I personally don’t need these Heatsinks until Mid-Summer so I’m in no real rush to do so, but I would still like to prepare for the time when it arrives and I’m sure that’s what others are doing here currently, Peace and keep well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.