large heatsink will be available by april or sooner - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Heatsink USA

Heatsink USA Extruded aluminum heatsinks, specializing in small custom cut orders

Old 4th January 2009, 11:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default large heatsink will be available by april or sooner

just a question to see how much interest there will be in an extrusion around 12" width with 2" fin height and a .300 base
also what prices are you paying now for similar new heatsinks so i can undercut my competitors,thanks
russ
Old 5th January 2009, 01:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I bought one just recently (aavid thermalloy) from RS components here in Ireland. Cost was about 40 euros for 12" square with overall height 2". I cut this in 2 to make 2 6" lenghts for a pass amp. Its anodised black alu.

In todays money, that is fairly close to about USD50 I think. If you can beat that let us know, although I suspect international shipping would be expensive.

Fran
Old 6th January 2009, 10:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ -

Former customer here. I think most folks are on the lookout for fins running the "right" way, ie, vertically rather than the usual horizontally oriented pieces that you have had for sale. If you can produce those at your competitive prices and with your good service, you'll do good business here. - Pat
Old 6th January 2009, 10:58 PM   #4
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

At 12 inches wide, you should be able to do this. I would like to see anodized sinks again. Also, if you could trim the edges flush with the outside fins, it may make for easier options for mounting them, such as case sides attached to the fins.
Old 20th January 2009, 02:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Look forward to the heatsinks

Pass Labs First Watt desgns are mighty popular on this site, it would be great if you could offer a heatsink ideally suited to this popular Type A design. Hopefully I'll have gotten started on my First Watt F1 project by the time your heatsinks are available. Look forward to seeing your products.
Old 21st January 2009, 02:02 AM   #6
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

The First Watt F5 Project is popular too. I think the heatsinks are pretty much the same size for most of the First Watt amps. I'd like to see some quality heatsinks and even a case for these projects. If the quality is good and the price is right you'll sell a ton of them.

If you check out the review where there's pictures you can get a good idea of the size needed.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt7/f5_2.html
Old 21st January 2009, 02:13 AM   #7
tms0425 is offline tms0425  United States
diyAudio Member

This sounds like a great idea. The main competitor would be the Conrad MF35-151.5 for most of the Pass amps.
Old 21st January 2009, 03:15 AM   #8
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tubesguy
Hi Russ -

Former customer here. I think most folks are on the lookout for fins running the "right" way, ie, vertically rather than the usual horizontally oriented pieces that you have had for sale. If you can produce those at your competitive prices and with your good service, you'll do good business here. - Pat

If the extrusion is 12" wide, it can be cut to 6-8" lengths for a vertical finned heatsink for each channel. You can also be creative and mount one 12"x12-16" piece for both channels and use it for the top of the amp.

Would be nice if it was anodized black. Then again maybe you can have it anodized locally after you drill all the holes etc.
Old 21st January 2009, 03:21 AM   #9
pchw is offline pchw  United States
diyAudio Member

Russ,

Here is a reference for pricing:

Conrad MF35-151.5, tapped, including mounting screws, and shipping, approx US$57 ea. I think these are powdered coat black not anodized.
Old 21st January 2009, 01:33 PM   #10
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

labjr just pointed out this thread to me. I'm building an F5 and would be really interested as well.

Hide this!Advertise here!