large heatsink will be available by april or sooner - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Heatsink USA

Heatsink USA Extruded aluminum heatsinks, specializing in small custom cut orders

Old 21st January 2009, 07:41 PM   #31
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hifimaker
One would not want to coat the mounting surface with anything, Mounting surfaces should always be bare aluminum or copper.

The oxidation and any corrosion does impact thermal efficiency.

-David

Quote:
Originally posted by tms0425
Obviously true. I should have noted that the transistor mounting surface on the Conrads is definitely NOT coated.
Don't know about oxidation imparing THERMAL efficiency, but it does ELECTRICALLY insulate. Alumimum oxide spacers are some of the best among thermal spacer options between the transistor and heat sink.
Old 22nd January 2009, 06:33 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Yes.
Please offer heatsinks 10-12"wide, with height of 5"-6", with fins running vertically.

You will sell many to the members here!

-Joe
Old 23rd January 2009, 02:55 AM   #33
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jtsaudio
Yes.
Please offer heatsinks 10-12"wide, with height of 5"-6", with fins running vertically.

You will sell many to the members here!

-Joe
Agreed!

Russell, you are pretty much the only standard supplier of heatsinks on EBay and a lot of us have had very good experiences with you. Your sinks are very good and you have been dependable over the years.

We find ourselves wanting the following features-

- vertical fins
- powder coating /anodizing
- tapped and threaded holes!! (Standard TO-3 or your own known spacing so we can design PCBs or brackets to comply).
- Here is a BIGGIE- "BLANKS" for the front panel, back panel, and bottom/ vented top, with elbows or tapped aluminum corner pieces. Everything tapped/threaded to fit.

With some "blanks" you would go from a heat sink vendor to a heat sink & chassis vendor, and there is a very large need for chassis here. Think about whether you could do this. There is no reliable source of heat sunk chassis with everything the same color. We buy heat sinks and cobble together a front/back panel, top/bottom from other places.

Get a couple of standard sizes, 1U, 2U, 14" deep, 16" deep whatever.

Anyway, you asked and that is my opinion.
Old 23rd January 2009, 03:10 AM   #34
hayenc is offline hayenc  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hayenc
Maybe you could work with DIYEnclosures again to get a setup with the large heatsinks. I know he was using your heat sinks on a previous chassis and could probably sell more of his nice chassis' if they were close to the First Watt specs for heatsinking and layout.
Old 25th January 2009, 08:48 PM   #35
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tms0425
...Textured black polyester powder coating..."[/i]
Not just powder coating Textured
Texturing, beading or sandblasting to increase surface area will make a significant difference.
Personally, I like 3" fins, 1/2" between fins and 1/2" base. 6" wide is good, you can use 2 per side. But, 8" high.
Thx
Old 26th January 2009, 05:17 AM   #36
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flg

Not just powder coating Textured
Texturing, beading or sandblasting to increase surface area will make a significant difference.
Personally, I like 3" fins, 1/2" between fins and 1/2" base. 6" wide is good, you can use 2 per side. But, 8" high.
Thx
Would a one piece heatsink be better? I ask because on cvillers F5 boards the outputs are spaced only 3.25 inches apart.
Old 29th January 2009, 04:37 PM   #37
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

2 heatsinks would basically be the same as 1 large 1, equal to the size of 2. 2 does allow for electrical isolation without the use of isolators under the transistors. that would give you reduced thermal resistance. 6" wide heatsinks also allows for more universal use as you are not confined to the 1 larger size
Old 27th March 2011, 08:46 PM   #38
triode4 is offline triode4  United States
diyAudio Member

Have these heat sinks ever been produced? I among many other people are waiting for Heatsink USA to have a product that is directly suited for a Pass F5 clone. Conrad's biggest heatsink is aproven design. Can you make one just like it or better?
Old 28th March 2011, 08:22 AM   #39
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Yes, Barred Boss has them shown as 10.08inches wide.
Click on and he supplies detail of the cross section.
Old 28th March 2011, 10:23 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Hello,
We do have a new 10" profile. This can be found on our website. Can someone send us a picture of the heatsink that was mentioned suited for a Pass F5 ?
barrredboss

Hide this!Advertise here!