keeping akg k141???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all.
I am not completely happy of my listenings, and i guess the reason lies in the final parts: speakers and headphones.
While changing speakers would be too expensive for me now, and i'm in a new house with new acoustic problems to tame yet, headphones gaming won't dry out my wallet (i hope:)).
I need suggestions then.
I have a pair of sufficient akg k141, playing music through the socket of a bellari vp 129.
Nothing so special with jazz..
What would be the next step for improving?
Getting a proper cans amplifier or different cans?
Any suggestion?
I'm not rich, and i'm also restoring my Vespa, so i can stretch the budget for the next step at 250ish euro

Nobody wants to put me in the right direction???
I need to know if my AKG k141 are a waste of time with any amplifier, or if they can improve with a remarkable difference..
Viceversa, if i get a better headphone, say K701 as example, will this be even more wasted time because of the Bellari???

Please, help!!!:confused:

Ok, this probably was a stupid question for a stupid topic from a stupid guy in a moment of stupid insecureness.
I admit i feel a bit stupid now..:)
Anyway, i got my answer today.
I have listened to a pair of sony. Can't remember the name, the clima was pure rush, but i've been told the price was about 200 euro, more than my K141.
The sound of the sony was just slightly better in the bass-middle bass area..
Imho nothing to justify a new buy.
I have the feeling if i want a big difference i should go double-triple the price of my cans.
I ended up with the decision of getting an amplifier to squeeze the last bit of sound out of my K141.
Now i'm looking for suggestions on the DIY projects from HeadWize.
I would prefere to avoid valves for the moment..
The Kumiza 3 and the Zen looks both interesting to me. Any of you have experience with them? Which one can be a good match for my K141?
I hope i'm worth an answer now, Francesco.

Thanks for the answer..finally i had one :)
Here in Italy rarely HiFi shops will allow you to have a "test drive" of headphones.. actually, shops with good headphones are just few.
The hole headphone adventure is left to the risks of foruming and then buying.

Francesco.

i should suggest you akg k240's, if you listen to jazz as an example (and like the akg brand). if you like the 141's, the 240 should be even better (or 242's, they're about the same expect for swapable earpads). they're really subtle and decent. some can say easy listenable (compared to grado sr60 as an example of something bit harsh in the higher freq. range) - there's nothing harsh, no overhelming bass (like koss porta pro) everything sounds very natural and clear. i like them a lot.
well, i have mk2 of them and they're made in china and feel bit cheaper than the older ones i've seen so i'm planing of selling them and buying some older k240 studio (higher impedance should help me with designing decent amp) or k240 df (they are bit famous for really flat frequency response).
the only thing you can lack with k240's are the deepest bass - but consider their price of course (and i still don't like the feeling being inside some drummer's machine all the time so it's fine for me).

also the k601 are worth the money (if you like to spend more), or the beyerdynamics dt 660. but i have no personal experience with those.

Looking on e-pay it seems there is about 50 euro of difference between some offers of K701 and K601.
Do you know if there's a big difference in sound between these two headphones?
Anyway, today i've putted the circuit boards into the acid... :D
i'm getting ready to build the zen amplifier and try with K141

I can tell you that in my wing of the business, 90% of the "professional" air talent I deal with cannot live without their AKG K240'S. Me, personally, I haven't spent enough time wearing/listening to them to care, but when the "smokin' hot" midday girl offers you "special favors" to save her headphones "just one more time" from cord-run-over-by-the-chair syndrome... you DO it. Durable, no. Easy to fix, "eh". But the jocks love 'em, so I keep patching 'em back together, and then listen long enough to make sure they work.

My cans of choice would be any Grado's, followed closely by the Sennheiser 15's, but I have NEVER seen a cult following like I have amongst the AKG 240 / 240M crowd.

Most of these folks spend at least 4-6 hours a day making their food money listening to their own voices. I take that as a "reasonably educated endorsement", and thus, cannot really argue with it.

regards,
art

Thanks UncleArt, i'll search a pair of second hand K240 on e-pay.
I'm ordering the components for the Zen Ampifier, but i can't find good condenser, like Elna.
Someone know where to get some good stuff online obviously at a honest price? I don't fancy exoteric snake-oil stuff, good quality will be enough.

Francesco.

Ciao Francesco
Tempo fa ho acquistato una AKG K518LE da HTFR (GB). Così com'è è esageratamente gonfia di BF, ma inserendo un po' di lana di vetro e mettendo (47 Ohm con 10uF in parallelo) in serie a ciascun auricolare il suono è divenuto molto buono, a mio giudizio migliore della 141 e con una notevole ma equilibrata risposta in gamma bassa. La uso anche con il lettore mp3 con soddisfazione.
Il cavetto è un po' delicato, soprattutto sul jack. Dopo la seconda riparazione l'ho sostituito con uno ricavato da una vecchia Sennheiser HD40, con conduttori acciaiosi.

Some time ago I bought a AKG K518LE from HTFR (GB). BF response was very, very strong, then I added some glass wool and 47 Ohm // 10uF in series to each speaker. Now sound is very good. I like it more than K141. I'm satisfied; I use it also with my mp3 player.
Cable is cheap, it breaks easily. I replaced it with another one salvaged from an old Sennheiser HD40.

I find the HeadFi forum not ver useful (IMHO)
The guys there seems to get easily excited about superexpensive stuff.. i asked there a couple of things, but they literally snob the economic stuff.
Unfortunaly i'm not rich and fortunally i have more than one interests :smash:
Also, it looks to me that sometimes some people there don't really know what they're talking about..
i prefere to have first hand opinions, rather than "my cousin said..."
Anyway, the building of the Zen amp is going very slow.. it's august, shops in town are closed and i can't find the caps!
@Katman: have you got any suggestions on where to buy online?
@Backefel: there is something unconvincing (to me) about Sennheisers.
I only listened to 2 models, not the HD600, but those were both "cicciboombom":rolleyes:..that's means with a lot of highs and a lot of bass.
The k141 is a entry level headphone, but the sound is very neutral, and if akg has a sound signature, that's the signature i like.
Also, a lot of mixings have been made using akg k240-270.. I like the idea that i get somehow "tuned" with that sound the engineer worked on.
Unfortunally i don't know any places to listen to headphones, when i ask for this service into a shop, they look at me like i'm crazy.
Forgive my english, Francesco

@Katman: have you got any suggestions on where to buy online?
DJ Equipment, DJ Mixers, Digital Music Software & Vinyl Records - Hard to Find
HTFR.com - DJ Headphones from Sony, Technics, Panasonic and more
Buy Headphones (studio) like Samson sr850,Audio technica ath m50,Beyerdynamic dt100 and more

In Nov 2009 I paid 39,95+16,82£=56,77£=65€ the K518 LE Gift set red with red box. Price was 39,95£ for any color; the red one had the free box included. Now prices are cheaper.

That's an interesting site!
They list the K601 @ 180pounds.
It's not so different than some offers on ebay, but i would feel safer to shop from a real store, like the one from the link.
But... i have to keep temptations away for now.
First i have to finish my amplifier, then i will see.

@Katman: intendevo consigli su dove reperire condensatori di qualità audio..Visto che mi sembri ferrato sull'argomento modifiche, che marche mi consiglieresti oltre a Elna, e dove?

Thanks, Francesco

We'll I don't think you'll regret buying the k601. I don't usually listen to jazz (mainly prog. like pink floyd etc) but norah jones sounds really good. Actually, the only thing I wouldn't recommend them for are trance and maybe metal.

However, 180 GBP is rather expensive :/

AKG K-601 - Italian International Cyberstore
Here's a pair for 148 EUR. There's even one for 137EUR in b-stock.

Also, have a look at headphone.com they have bode plots of most of the headphones. (One of the main reasons I bought the k601 was the relatively linear freq. response)

Do you think it's worth keep saving money for the K701-702 instead of the 601?
I have the suspect they're basically the same headphone..

From what I've heard, the k702 is the same phone as the k701 but with a detachable cord, i wouldnt pay 100 eur more for it :).

To be honest I dont know how k701 and k601 compares :(. The k701 might be better overall, especially since you're building a amp that's suitable for low impedance phones (k601 120ohm vs k701 62ohm). But I wonder if it's worth the extra cash.

Imageshack - k60111so.jpg
Imageshack - k70113re.jpg

Here's two plots (from Jamey@headroom). I think there's distortion figures there as well.

EDIT: Here's the thread instead with every pic.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/138258/new-akg-k601-and-k701-coming-to-headroom/105

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.