ECL82 Headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Boys,

I'm seeing to make a ECL82 Headphone amplifier, using the pentode of ECL82 in a Cathode Fallower mode to buffer the courrent, and the triode making the amplification of the signal.

Can anybody know a good schematic in these condiction?

I'm thiking to use the Pentode to make a buffer of corrent to drive mine SENNHEISER HD580 who has a impedance of 300ohm.

Is this a good idea? The pentode of ECL82 is very similar of the EL84... Is this will be good?

Can anybodody comment it?

Best Regards,
Felipe Navarro

Hi Philipe

I'm seeing to make a ECL82 Headphone amplifier, using the pentode of ECL82 in a Cathode Fallower mode to buffer the courrent, and the triode making the amplification of the signal.

Can anybody know a good schematic in these condiction?

I'm thiking to use the Pentode to make a buffer of corrent to drive mine SENNHEISER HD580 who has a impedance of 300ohm.

I remember to have seen something like this, but it definitely was for higher impedance headphones, more like 600 ohms.

Is this a good idea?

I don´t think so, I am afraid. The pentode section of ECL82 in a CF will not be able to drive anything near 300 ohms, since even considerably stronger tubes like f.e EL86 in CF have a hard time to do so.

The pentode of ECL82 is very similar of the EL84...

Not really. The closest to EL84 you can get with a pentode contained in a compound tube is ECL86, which is quite close to a power-derated EL84, indeed. I doubt as CF it will be able to drive 300 ohms headphones either.

Regards,

Tom

I have a headphone amp using the ECL82. It uses 12V mains toroidals as output transformers. I use parafeed to drive the transformer and has both loop negative feedback, and plate to plate feedback to smooth out the response.
The ECL82 pentode sounds a bit thin at 105V and 25mA, but with 40mA of current it fills out a lot. I have a pair of 8ohm headphones which sound great, and a pair of 32ohm SENNHEISER which sound a bit thin.

I can drag out the schematic if you are interested.

Shoog

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 764
I'd try inverted triode connecting the pentode of the ECL82 - see steve bench's site for more information on inverted triode operation.

Its not a new technique, but does enable a 'normal' tube to drive low required loads relatively easily.

However, as the grid takes the strain, the output power available is lower than the normal ratings - but should be plenty for the 30 or 40 mW you'll need, and he's used it to drive an 8R speaker..! so the load wont be an issue.

http://members.aol.com/sbench102/inverted.html

Just some thoughts

Owen

Hi Felipe,

mod_evil said:
Can the transformer of the PARAFEED be a 220 - 12v transformer? What is these transformer?

Sure, it's not that critical.

I've found the parafed arrangement is the least critical configuration for output transformers.

I custom wound mine. The second set of transformers I made, I used a pair of el-cheapo chokes from China and unwound them. They had exactly 1500 turns of wire on each. So I layed down one secondary winding, put the 1500 turns back on, layed a second secondary and paralleled the secondaries and have a fabulous little OPT for $2 :)

mod_evil said:
Geek,

The circuit will be so so it here.

http://web.comhem.se/illuwatar//Tube/6AS7 Headphone/images/amp_schematics.gif
But with a pentode instead 6as7 to use a ECL82...

Like the circuit in here. But I don't know who I connect a pentode and who I design this circuit with a pentode.

Ok, a 6AS7 *can* do this. Low mu+low Rp is good for this. A little pentode unfortunately can not unless connected triode, making a super high Gm triode unit.

ECL82 won't cut it I'm afraid, at least not for 300 ohms, as mentioned elewhere. However, the 7KY6 trioded would probably do you fine for what you want. Rp is high, but it has Gm like no tomorrow!

Geek,

I have some problems to make transformers... I live on Brazil, I haven't El-Cheapo transformers here, and the transformers in here is so critical to make/buy.

I have other choice... I can make a SRPP to make a gain, and a buffer with transistors to make the buffer to connect the Headphone to the tubes =D

What do you think about this idea?

Best Regards,
Felipe Navarro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.