Headphone amp grounding (w/ diagram)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I started to plan my ground wiring, and ran into a possible snag.

evolution:::
Building this amp, I put each channel on a seperate board.
Then began to think "why not use seperate power supplies?".
But there isn't enough room in my amp case, so outboard PSU(s) has become a possible solution.

SNAG:
Concidering the output jack ground....I'm confused what to do here. This one ground point must tie somewhere to both psu's/amp grounds , right? (headphone jack/cable ground is shared for both R and Left)......if this were a dual mono speaker amp..seperate grounds go to seperate speakers, no problem.
But for headphones ??
(is the headphone jack the only place the two grounds connect?....what about case, leave it floating everywhere after the transformer?

(ac input ground tied to case)

(not sure yet (and not drawn): input ground, pot ground)
602groundingdia.jpg

=FB=

Hey what do you know, after actually reading your post I have something to contribute other than the above post.

I just recently built some "mono block" headphone amp boards that will also have separate supplies. I plan to tie the ground from each amp output to the headphone jack, and then the headphone jack will be electrically connected to the case. That will be my only ground point and everything else will be isolated.

Hope that helps in some way.:xeye:

http://i15.tinypic.com/2z3zbxv.jpg
http://i17.tinypic.com/2rwawqd.jpg

Thanks, O'Anonymous1....

How are you wiring your supplies?
Are you using seperate transformers, or ??

I'm a little bit intimidated here, as I've not seen any drawn schematics in my proposed setup, posted above, when powering a shared ground device - (headphones).
....I could rewire my headphone cables for dual mono, using two jacks, one for each ear can, but I won't.

I do believe that I should not use dual supplies if they are of the "floating ground" type. (mine are not, I'm using xformers with center-taps, and 3 term regulators for each leg, each supply.)
I did find a single transformer the other day, multitap 16v,0,16v and 16v,0,16v.
....choices.... :cubist:

=FB=

In the first pic I posted there is one of the supplies to the right. It is a dual secondary with separate bridges. It gives me an unregulated +-30v. I'm not sure if I want to regulate it or not as the OPA551 I'm using can run at that voltage.

If you keep each channels ground separate up until the headphone jack everything should be fine. It works for me anyway. I just haven't found an enclosure for it yet so it's all just sitting in a box for now.

BTW, I don't ground the chassis to the mains ground EVER. Bad stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.