Reference Headphone Amp: TPA6120

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

Haven't posted much of my new stuff, so here is one of my last projects. It is a really nice headphone amp. The technical performance is the best I have ever seen in an audio device, the waveforms look so good! Balanced output is cool too, but the headphones need re-wiring.

I will have to post some scope screenshots sometime, without HP filter in place I can amplify orders of magnitude higher frequencies than audio nicely! Just a nice chip for more than audio.

I have regulated supplies +/- 15V supplies, with inductive LP filtering on power input and regulated output. Nice low-ESR power stiffening, Elna Silmic 2 on the input. Thin film 0.5% low noise resistors thoughout, and OPA2134 op-amps (x2 per channel).

You can see I use mono-bloc style construction with seperate PS and PCB for each channel. I have BNC connectors for input and output, and a stepped attenuator using a piano-dip switch.

I can post the PCB if anyone is interested.

-Matt

Attachments

• dscn0654.jpg
    dscn0654.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 894
I can add a schematic if I get time to draw one later.

I winged it and just designed a PCB for this one, I made one small error though. I have already revised the PCB to correct it.

I didn't use through-hole because with the high-performance stuff there is no advantage to it. SMT soldering is a skill worth learning. There are superiour parts available in the SMT packages, and these are 0805, which are not that hard to solder anyway. Just a week ago I took two total soldering newbies through SMT assembly with a little kit I made for a class-D amp. By the end of the assembly they were suprisingly proficient.

-Matt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.