diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Headphone Systems (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/)
-   -   Reference Headphone Amp: TPA6120 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/96479-reference-headphone-amp-tpa6120.html)

zagisrule! 17th February 2007 02:46 AM

Reference Headphone Amp: TPA6120

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

Haven't posted much of my new stuff, so here is one of my last projects. It is a really nice headphone amp. The technical performance is the best I have ever seen in an audio device, the waveforms look so good! Balanced output is cool too, but the headphones need re-wiring.

I will have to post some scope screenshots sometime, without HP filter in place I can amplify orders of magnitude higher frequencies than audio nicely! Just a nice chip for more than audio.

I have regulated supplies +/- 15V supplies, with inductive LP filtering on power input and regulated output. Nice low-ESR power stiffening, Elna Silmic 2 on the input. Thin film 0.5% low noise resistors thoughout, and OPA2134 op-amps (x2 per channel).

You can see I use mono-bloc style construction with seperate PS and PCB for each channel. I have BNC connectors for input and output, and a stepped attenuator using a piano-dip switch.

I can post the PCB if anyone is interested.

-Matt

zagisrule! 17th February 2007 02:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
New camera, I tried to get artistic but I need some more time ;)

zagisrule! 17th February 2007 02:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
more

zagisrule! 17th February 2007 02:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
overall, little blurry

zagisrule! 17th February 2007 02:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
an artful attempt

ppcblaster 18th February 2007 11:55 AM

Please post PCB and parts list

I would have a difficult time with the SMT procedure,

can you post a schematic please? Did you build one without the

surface mount components to test the circuit?

Thank you........:bawling:

zagisrule! 19th February 2007 12:15 AM

I can add a schematic if I get time to draw one later.

I winged it and just designed a PCB for this one, I made one small error though. I have already revised the PCB to correct it.

I didn't use through-hole because with the high-performance stuff there is no advantage to it. SMT soldering is a skill worth learning. There are superiour parts available in the SMT packages, and these are 0805, which are not that hard to solder anyway. Just a week ago I took two total soldering newbies through SMT assembly with a little kit I made for a class-D amp. By the end of the assembly they were suprisingly proficient.

-Matt

Nordic 19th February 2007 09:51 AM

yep, eagle files would be nice

ppcblaster 19th February 2007 11:54 AM

Would you consider a SMT tutorial

Perhaps a video we could download to teach SMT installation and

repair.

I have been told for three quarters the an SMT seminar was

comming to our school but it never happened and I graduate in

June.

Thank You.

zagisrule! 21st February 2007 05:09 PM

I use P-CAD but I can post gerbers.

There are several SMT tutorials on the web, might try a search?

-Matt