OTH -> One Transistor HeadPhone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2006, 03:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to mod_evil
Arrow OTH -> One Transistor HeadPhone

This is a scheamatic without gain, for Head-Phone or BUFFER use.

This is a PURE Class-A schematic without FEEDBACK!

This is my frist design in pure class-A for HeadPhones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oth.jpg (22.7 KB, 627 views)
Old 9th September 2006, 04:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

hey - this look nice - maybe to try to use it with dual power supply - in that way you will not have the need for the output capacitor.....i don't like them (sorry) - but hte amp is nice - it should work nice for low frequency load ......
right?
have you try it allready
how it is sounding

regards
daniel
Old 9th September 2006, 04:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I haven't it allready.

It is only a simulation to in the future I make them.

I need to evaluate this circuit to make a very very good head-amp. =]

Best Regards,
Felipe
Old 9th September 2006, 07:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Felipe,

I built a headphone amp like this a while back (but I did have a bit of feedback).
I started with an emitter follower, like yours but on dual rails, and then replaced the emitter resistor with a current source. It made quite a difference, and is really worth trying.

Then I changed the one transistor with two in a complimentary feedback pair, and that helped as well, but it did introduce feedback.

I drive my grados with it and I'm really pleased with it.
I totally agree that, you don't need voltage gain to drive headphones, more a buffer to provide the current, and relieve the source.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 9th September 2006, 07:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking to drive mine headphones with this new circuit:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...postid=1001572

A buffer with 6sn7GT and a HEAD-AMP.

Best regards,
Felipe
Old 13th September 2006, 03:57 AM   #6
suiraMB is offline suiraMB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Try using an LU1014D power JFET as the active device instead, and replace the load resistor with another LU1014D. And put the rails at +/- 12V.

That is:
Lower JFET - drain to output, source through a small resistor to negative rail, gate to negative rail.

Upper JFET - drain to positive rail, source through another small resistor (same value if the devices are matched) to output, gate to input.

If you want some feedback, use a 10K resistor in series with the input, and a 100 ohm resistor from the output to the gate of the active device.

With proper matching, the DC offset should be negligible (meaning no coupling cap), and distortion negligible. A 3 ohm source resistor would give about 500mA bias at +/- 12V rails.

Then you can drive a low-impedance headphone as well. Either way, the performance should exceed that of the bipolar.

For high-impedance headphones, the 2SK389V (or LSK389C) should perform admirably with a 75-300 ohm source resistor.
Old 13th September 2006, 01:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Suira,

I can't buy a LU1014D, because I can't import this in Brazil. I haven't international credit card to buy it.

And... IF I PUT a IRF610?

In what circuit design software can I simulate mosfets? I have the circuit maker professional and I can't simulate mosfets in this =[.

I have changed the 1000ohm resistor to a CCS with 2 BC549.

Thanks,
Felipe
Old 13th September 2006, 05:00 PM   #8
suiraMB is offline suiraMB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mod_evil
I can't buy a LU1014D, because I can't import this in Brazil. I haven't international credit card to buy it.
Ah. That's a pity. You may want to keep an eye on the "Lovoltech Group Buy" thread, then.

Quote:
And... IF I PUT a IRF610?
The IRF610 is not a depletion mode device, so it will not self-bias like the circuits I suggested. Also, it is a MOS FET, not a JFET, so its transfer characteristics are different.

Quote:
In what circuit design software can I simulate mosfets? I have the circuit maker professional and I can't simulate mosfets in this =[.
You could try LTSpice, Orcad, etc.

Though with such a simple circuit, it will probably take less time to build it and listen to it.

Quote:
I have changed the 1000ohm resistor to a CCS with 2 BC549.
That should give lower distortion, so probably a smart move

I would also suggest trying to build the circuit with a dual monolithic JFET, such as the 2SK389V (Toshiba), LSK389C (LIS), 2N5911 (Vishay), IF3602 (InterFET) or similar.

Hide this!Advertise here!