Modification of an headphone amp to real preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's cute! I like the small box...

Anyway, no - I don't see anything you need to change to make it a "preamp". People seem to think a headphone amp is a dedicated unit, that will not work as a valid preamp - but this is nonsense. It's a high impedance input (good), and a low inpedence output (good). The big caps on the output guarantee wide bandwidth.
I presonally would remove the 1 meg resistor on the input tube's grid. The 100k volume pot is sufficent to stabilize the bias voltage.

G

Joined 2002
If you plan on using it as a preamp only the ouput caps can be as small as 2.5 uf. Of course this depends on the input impedance of your amplifier. The formula for calculating this is:

C = 1,000,000,000/(2 Pi F R) where:

F = the lowest frequency you mant to reproduce. (usually 15 or 20 Hz)

R = the input impedance of your amplifier

I hope this helps.

G

Hey François,

How do you find that amp? Is it worth in your opinion to use this amp as high quality preamp?
Could you give some sound impressions or comparisons to other preamps perhaps?
I have planned to build a low output impedance preamp for a long time now. I have a couple of 6N1P-EV tubes and some powertrannies lying in my parts box so should I give it a try?

Argo

thank you very much, I am a good loudspeaker builder but still learning tube amp :)

Argo, I did a setup on my system to switch between this tube preamp and the built-in preamp of my amplified with one button. The difference were notable: a real warm sound compared to the solid state preamp, less bass, detailed mids and smooth highs. A very good sound for the low cost.

If you want to build it, you have to be aware that the cathode-heater voltage of the top half of V2 exceeds the 6N1P's spec of 100V so I have no idea on the long term reliability of the amp.

By the way, I invite you guys to see the picture that I have posted of this amp a few weeks ago: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7005

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.