waade headphone amp help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

Starting to plan parts @layout of the waade ,H,amp I am requesting help with the PSU As I want to try both tube rectified @ solid state PSUs I have attached the schematic I will use for the solid state version
Tube version for same voltage out 150 Volts which tube can I use And what parts will require changing and values of changed parts

HAMMAND TRANSFORMERS MAINS 240 Volts Primers
Type VA Secondary
260E 80 225-0-225 @ 100ma 5V @ 2A 6.3vct @ 3A
Chokes 159M 15H @ 100ma 256 Ohms
266N12 12.6V @ 4A 6.3V @ 8A

PS some one have a Wiring layout for this amp

Thank you
Colin

Attachments

• waarde psu 2.pdf
    71.5 KB · Views: 110
Hi Colin,

It would probably be good if you have a go with this:
http://www.duncanamps.com/psud2/index.html
It's free, and the simulations have all been reasonably accurate, at least with my designs.
Post back with your results or problems!

Steve

edit: how about using 369AX mains transformer? 225v secondaries would need dropping a lot to get down to 150Vdc, and it's shrouded and pretty. But you would need another small filament transformer for the rectifier tube, not too much bother.

How's this?
Hammond 369AX Transformer is wired with 220V primary just to bring B+ up to 150v.

Into a single 5AR4 fullwave rectifier (with it's own heater transformer, maybe Hammond 266M5).

100uF input cap should be fine as the voltage is so low.

Hammond 193B choke between the two C's.

This leaves a raw supply ripple of 10mV p-p @ 80mA current draw, which is further smoothed by C1, C2 and R5 on the schematic you posted first.

I'v no idea of the circuits current requirements, but as the original design specifies a 90mA power supply choke, it should be under that.

Hope this helps! Stopped me getting bored on a rainy Sunday morning.... hurrumph

Steve

Attachments

• untitled-1.gif
    untitled-1.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 180
colin.hepburn2 said:
Hi
Yes I Have Downloaded this PSU s Prog But I will have too get a book on the basic stuff maths figures And Physics not my strong point can you suggest and good book
I have built some transistor pre amp that work ok I built my furst tube headphone amp from a kit with wiring layout so was easy

Ear+ Purist Headphone Amplifier
http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/ear+purist.htm
Colin

'Morgan Jones - Valve amplifiers' for my money. Very easy to read and doesn't try and bombard you with science and formulae. I believe he's written another book more focussed on construction, though I haven't got that one.

Steve

Yes the design certainly suits high impedance headphones better. As you're only going to use 300ohm headphones I would suggest replacing the two output caps (one 'lytic and one bypass) with a single, lower value, higher quality polypropylene cap. If money allowed I would also use film caps for C1 and C2, the last line of caps for the respective tubes. Other than that it looks good! Nice simple project and should be good value for money.

Good luck, and keep us up to date with progress and pictures!
Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.