Buffer headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I would like to build LT1210 buffer amp based on schematic posted on website mentioned by Chumi. The only difference would be not to use current source. I understand that without use of current source I will have to protect inputs and outputs with caps, what really do not mind. Could someone advised me how to change the circuit to accomodate that change? Which parts are not necessary with use of only LT chip?
Thanks for the help.

TB said:
Hello, I would like to build LT1210 buffer amp based on schematic posted on website mentioned by Chumi. The only difference would be not to use current source. I understand that without use of current source I will have to protect inputs and outputs with caps, what really do not mind. Could someone advised me how to change the circuit to accomodate that change? Which parts are not necessary with use of only LT chip?
Thanks for the help.

Why not contact Damian that made the layout? I got a pair of PCB,s from him after reading this tread and have only positive experience with the information and fast responce from Damian.

Have Fun

percy said:
Since you already have an opamp (OPA627) driving the buffer I'd imagine the buffer would be within the feedback loop of the opamp ?
The LT1210 is a current feedback amp so it's not possible to use it with no local feedback but if you have so local feedback you can also use global feedback too.

I have designed four current feedback headphone amps and I really like current feedback. I wonder why so few have tested current feedback?

Hi all,

I plan to make a good headphone amplifier for myself. And I have some LT1210. So I want to use them. I've searched a lot of site to find a good design with it but I couldnt.
Youre talking about the "backdoor" however there is no schematics of LT1210 head amp in this site.
Does anybody know a working good schematics. I have never made a headphone amp and as my supposition it should be like a gainclone. But I saw more complex circuits on web, like DC servo, pre buffer etc..
May anybody give me some tips to make a good headamp pls?

Best regards,
Ozgur

Hi Ozgur,

backdoor has the schematic;
http://www.unisonus.com/pdf/lt1210_sch.pdf

i built lots of headamps (opamp based, mosfet, tube hybrid) but lt1210.
glad to share them. also i have some spare headamp pcbs..

by the way building headamps are more fancy than gainclones imho :)

hope these help; for projects:
http://headwize.com/projects/index.htm
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/

and for discussions:
http://headwize.com/ubb/forumdisplay.php?fnum=3
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=6

also sent you an e-mail..

selamlar,
naim

Hi Ozgur,

i have some cmoy, a47, meta42 and sijosae design zen headamp pcbs, plus a few but can't remember their names now.. they all single sided and etched in a small pcb house. i'm not planning to use most of them and of course free for you..

also, i have not an excuse and as soon as joining the forum.

naim

Hi Naim,
What a nice proposal! Thank you. I will contact you about that matter in next week.
Looking forward for your membership to our club.

And for GFiandy,

Its interesting. I have never had any experience with DC servo circuits. Op-amp choosing is important on this design? I mean does this feedback carry any kind of signal? If its important for just its precision then I can use another more available alternative like TL071?

Thx.

Theres another way to get rid of DC at the output when working with 1210. One has to change the feedback resistor value from
2K to 1K. However the gain is reduced. In this case some nice sounding previous stage should be added before 1210, possibly an opamp, that OPA604 might happily do.

The servo opamp carries a very heavly low pass version of the signal. This means that you get minimal interaction from the DC opamp on the main path. However for best sound quality a good opamp here will out perform a cheap one.

The most inportant characterisitic of the DC servo opamp is the input offset. However it will carry signal upto 1K at very low levels this can interact with the main path.

I have also noticed in listening trials that the quality of the low pass capacitor (C4) significantly affects the sound quality of the main path.

Also note that this circuit has significant noise gain if the input to the main opamp is not driven from a low impedance source.

Regards,
Andrew

I think this is rather over stating the case. When AC coupling the cap is directly in the audio path and can introduce measurable distortion.

The DC servo works to much lower frequency using a much higher quality dielectric than can be used for AC coupling. All I am saying is that the type of capacitor is still significant to the sound quality.

If cost is not a problem I would go with a DC servo as you will get a better result.

If you want a simpler or cheaper solution then AC coupling makes sense.

Regards,
Andrew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.