JRC NJM4580 (or Behringer UB802) as headphone amp ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Behringer UB802 mixer that uses the JRC NJM4580 opamps. I know there are better chips out there like AD8610/20 or OPA627/37 around which a few very popular headphone amps have been built but I just wanted to see what you thought about using this mixer, and thereby this opamp, as a headphone amp ?

Here is the spec sheet of the 4580.
http://www.njr.co.jp/pdf/ae/ae04056.pdf .

Its SMD so changing it is not an option for me. However, I do really think that it could use some upgrades/mods in the psu section, and if the general opinion about the opamp comes out favourable then I might be encouraged to go ahead and make the mods or I might even go battery ;). So what do you think ? Worth it or not ?

<edit>:
btw it will most likely be used with a Grado SR-80 (or a MS-1).

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
percy said:
I did listen to it and even did RMAA tests with the headphone load but I have never heard a good headphone amp so I really cannot judge/compare, and in all fairness I dont want to compare it with my 100W amplifier!

Well I do hope it sounds better with headphones than the 100W amp on speakers! ;) That's the least you should expect.

Jan Didden

Hi,

I have a pair of Grado SR-80s :D and my Marantz CD63 did have an NJM4556 opamp for the headphone output stage (before it was removed during modification). Obviously, a better power supply could be used than that used in the CD player, and its not the same model as you've quoted, but I have heard much better IMO.

I drive my Grados off of a discrete headphone amp from the same CD player (line out) and it sounds superb. I know this isn't the solid state thread, but hopefully its a useful comparison.

Anyway, just my opinion. You may well get better performance with a decent power supply etc.

Cheers,
Phil

Well I do hope it sounds better with headphones than the 100W amp on speakers!

sure, but I'd be happier if I it was the size of a headphone amp or the mixer or if I could haul it around like one.

philpoole, thanks for the only relevant and useful reply in the thread, and not just wasting my and your time both.

I just want to find out if someone has actually used a mixer and/or opamp like this one as a headphone amp and what they thought about it.

Hi Percy,

Glad to be of assistance.
I'm similar in that I have a limited frame of reference. My headphone amp is my own design and I have no experience of other headphone amps, but there is a world of difference between my amp and the Marantz one based on the NJM4556.

The Grados are absolutely stunning and deserve being driven well. The bass can be a bit light at times, but I find they deliver bass when it is present in the recording (i.e. they don't boom). The detail is stunning. Again, in my opinion.

Have you thought about building an opamp circuit to suit your needs? Perhaps a chumoy or similar with more exotic opamps than the NJM and dedicated power supply (you have mentioned a battery)? The circuitry itself is probably straightforward.

My amp has no voltage gain, its merely a buffer, as its fed by a CD.

Cheers,
Phil

Hi,

I have built an easy headphone amp using 4580 and a tube. 4580 is wired as a buffer driving the headphones. Other than the fact that it has BJT inputs, 4580 has the best characteristics for experimental DIYing.

Cheap, Easy, and Expendable

I think 4580 has lower current capability than 4556, but my amp drives Senn PX100 without much trouble. However, you have told us that you will be driving Grado SR80. I have no experience in driving those.

Ciao,

Tomo

P.S. Interchangeably using BJT input opamps and JFET input opamps may be ... bad.

P.P.S. Sonically, 4580 sounds decent for such a tiny cost. ... I kinda feel proud to be a fellow pacific islander. ... Oh I am not EASY. :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.