Headphone Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2002, 09:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Headphone Amp

I'm interested in building a nice stereo headphone amp. Are there any plans/sites that give you plans to good ones? What does it take to build one? I've never really looked into it. How expensive are they to make as compared to a Louderspeaker amp.
Old 17th October 2002, 09:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

also - what are some good headphones to buy. I've heard seinhesser 580's are good but I don't even know where to start.
Old 17th October 2002, 09:29 AM   #3
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
some kind of OTL dealie using a 6080/6AS7/6H5C/6H13C would probably be good.

if not, maybe ECC88 .. if you can find small enough OPTs.

I think I heard of a design with ECC88,the output tranny was actually an *input* tranny cap-coupled to the plate..

I think you can even make a OTL with ECC88 (6DJ8. or was it 6JD8? too late..) if you use it in SRPP.

theres a lot of options..
(but i dont even listen to headphones, so don't take my word )
Old 17th October 2002, 11:41 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Check out the following page, they have several projects of headphone amp (tube or not). I have just strated on the Waarde one, it looked one of the simplest and felt like the best choice for me as a first project

http://headwize.powerpill.org/projects/index.htm

Jerome
Old 17th October 2002, 12:09 PM   #5
Thomas is offline Thomas  Denmark
diyAudio Member

A nice pair of headphones could be Grado SR60 or SR80. I own a pair of SR80's and they are the best heaphones I ever heard. Be shure to check out these before you buy.

I've build the Szekeres headphone amp in the DC-coupled version. You can find the schematics for it in the link Jerome gave. It's very simple to build and sound is exelent. Only thing is it needs a large heasink. 1W/K for a stereo version isn't too much.

Also, you ask how expensive it is to build one. That depends. But generaly headphone amps should be a lot cheaper since the power supply, heatsinks and cabinet are much less. I guess the Szekeres could be buildt for less than 50-60$. Well, I payed 150$ for the Grados, so that's nothing, really.
Old 17th October 2002, 10:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I built the single ended class A headphone amp project that was published in hifi world supplement 9 back in august of 1994.

You can safely ignore all the phase reversal stuff and the extra gain stages using opamps. I found that my Sennheiser
hd475's didn't need anywhere near that level of gain. i have a 10k passive pot on the input.

It runs off +/-12vdc rails but with one channel using +12 to ground and the other using ground to -12.

Only 2 devices per channel BC178 and BD135.

I"ll try to scan the schematic.

Drew
Old 18th October 2002, 01:59 AM   #7
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Headphone Amp

Quote:
Originally posted by d-audi
What does it take to build one? ... How expensive are they to make as compared to a Louderspeaker amp.
Look at the Headwize link posted earlier. The "Cmoy" is the cheapest, basically a dual opamp powered by 9V batteries. Maybe 20 bucks to build. The Szekeres is still simple but needs a beefy power supply. The price and complexity go up from there. Read the tutorials at that site, they are excellent.
Popular headphones are the Grado SR-60 and the Sennheiser HD-580. Impedance is a consideration when building an amp, the Grados are low (32 ohms?) and the Senns high (600 ohms?). Check the headwize site again, they have a section for that as well.
Other sites: www.head-fi.org and www.headphone.com
Old 18th October 2002, 06:44 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hello all,
there is another project specifically developed for Grado - or other low Z - headphones: as soon as Cmoy will find a bit of time, it will be published in Headwize.com, too.
Here you can find the schematic of this simple amp.
Tortello's amp

Marcello
Old 18th October 2002, 06:49 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

... and here the latest PCB schematic:
PCB schematic

Cheers
Marcello
Old 18th October 2002, 07:19 AM   #10
Thomas is offline Thomas  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Headphone Amp

Quote:
Originally posted by paulb

Impedance is a consideration when building an amp, the Grados are low (32 ohms?) and the Senns high (600 ohms?).
Grados are 32 ohms and Sennheisers are 300 ohms.

Hide this!Advertise here!