My DIY headphone amplifier design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2005, 08:32 AM   #1
cetoole is offline cetoole  United States
diyAudio Member

Default My DIY headphone amplifier design

I have been working on designing a new DIY portable headphone amplifier lately, it is actually a heavily modified Mint amp by Tangent, but new layout, decoupling, and changed parts, but the actual schematic is virtually identical, buffered opamps with jung multiloop. The board is about 1/2 the size of the origional mint, about 21mm high and 48mm wide. I am getting ready to send these files to Olimex to get printed, in a couple weeks, I should have ~14 professional PCBs back of my own design. Potentiometer with built in switch, Alps RK097, goes right in the center of the board, with the input/output jacks on either side of it. Dual mono opamps, each with their own buffer, with CRDs for Class A biasing, and capacitors for full decoupling, resistors for setting buffer bandwidth, four capacitors for the power supply, capacitors to limit opamp bandwidth to increase the stability of "stupid fast" opamps, and the parts on the board now are nearly all SMD.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 16th October 2005, 09:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Colin,

Followed your work on the head-fi forum. Glad to see it come to fruition!
Old 16th October 2005, 10:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Cool!

Will you offer your eagle files to those of us who would like to make one for ourselves?
Old 17th October 2005, 08:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sure, just tell me where you want me to send them, I got no problem sharing, and I would love to see what you make.
Old 20th October 2005, 07:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Here is the preliminary BOM for the amp.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mint bom.zip (5.2 KB, 258 views)
Old 23rd October 2005, 08:50 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I just placed an order with Olimex for PCBs, gonna be getting 14 of them for $45 shipped, and they should arrive in a couple weeks, so I am pretty excited.
Old 23rd October 2005, 09:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Awesome Thanks for the eagle files! I'll be etching my boards shortly... Then I'll build it up after I find some buffers! I've got all the other parts in my parts cabinet, except the buffers... I've got them in PDIP and TO220, but not SOIC.
Old 24th October 2005, 10:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Congrats Colin. It must feel great to have your boards coming to fruition. I hope to get into PCB design someday so I can get some of my ideas etched down
Old 24th October 2005, 02:45 PM   #9
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

cetoole, have you had previous boards from Olimex? Their prices seem pretty good.
Old 24th October 2005, 03:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

bigmike216: The buffers, the biggest issue I have right now. TI is having trouble keeping them in stock, and they have been difficult to get. They had come in stock at Mouser a week ago or so, but are sold out again. I have 8 for my own use, so I am set, but I dont know about other people.
motherone: Yes, it does feel great to have my own boards coming, but I believe it will feel even better to have a working amp built using them.
paulb: I have not had any experience with Olimex before, these are my first boards ever, and I chose them because of price and because Sparkfun froze their ordering for a while. I will let you know how the quality is when I get the boards.

Hide this!Advertise here!