Digitally controlled preamp/headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
>There are several PICs which can handle USB:
>18F2455 (28 pins DIP and surface mounted, 24K memory),
>18F2550 (28 pins DIP and surface mounted, 32K memory),
>18F4455 (40 pins DIP and 44 pins surface mounted, 24K memory),
>18F4550 (40 pins DIP and 44 pins surface mounted, 32K memory)

Unfortunately these chips cannot work as USB host controllers.
So it's not so easy to connect USB remote control to this preamp :(

Perch success!

I finally have had a chance to test my "Perch" idea for controlling and powering multiple kookaburras/JTs.

It worked very well. I built a simple low pass filter which I used to send output from a kooka to a powered subwoofer. I then had an additional kookaburra output going to a pair of "MyRefs" for the mains.

It worked very well with both channels tracking the "master" pot and the individual channel levels where adjusted using their own pot. :)

I am tweeking the layout a bit. If there is interest I will provide the layout PDFs for self etching.

It is a pretty simple circuit. Nothing exotic is needed at all.

Cheers!
Russ

I'm just making sure to make no mistake

I'm sure that :

The powersupply on the perch will power the digital part of multiple kookaburra's

I'm not sure that :

if used with JT's, the perch will power them to ? I thought I read somewhere that the JT had its own PS. So that the Ps on the perch would simply not be needed in this case.
I mean there's clear advantage with the kookaburra's: to keep digital/analog PS seperate, with the JT there is no active analog section so there is no need to

Since I do not have any knowledge of self-etching, is it possible to order an pcb from you?

thx !

sklimek said:
Hi Russ, Brian, is The Perch compatable w/ other chip preamp configuerations as well? I for one would like to etch my own if you would like to share - I see a HT preamp control center in the future w/ it...

I am not sure what you are asking, but the perch will work for "Kookaburra" or "Joshua Tree" the end poer amp is arbitrary as long as it is suitable for either the JT or the Kooka.

I will be sharing the PDFs here soon. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Strange Results..

I tried using a pair of AD8620 on SOIC-dip converters. The kook seems unstable as there is no control of volume and distortion. Perhaps the voltage is not ideal? Does anyone have similar situations?

Other OP Amps work fine, my fav is the AD827 so far. But i have to say the stock OPA2227 are really well chosen.

Chuck

Finished my Kook case & preamp, and Darwin. Now I just have to figure out how to hook all up. Hope you like the pic. Can't wait to get it finished so I can start on My Rev c and see what they sound like.

Mike

Attachments

• kook amp.jpg
    kook amp.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 894
Hi Max,

Kookaburra is a complete preamp/headphone amp and volume control in one package.

Joshua Tree itself is simply a constant output impedance stepped (128 steps of .5db) attenuator. To get an equivalent to the Kookaburra you would have to add a preamp such as KooKoo, Twisted Sibling, or XBOSOZ.

I would say that while the kookaburra is excellent that the JT paired with any of the above is somewhat better, mostly because there is better isolation from the digital side, but also because(at least with twisted sibling and XBOSOZ) you have the option of balanced operation which has significant positive impact on CMRR, and thus noise.

Bottom line, I use them all, but for different purposes. I have my XBOSOZ at work driving my office amp. I have a Twisted Sibling at home in my main system, and I have a kookaburra as a preamp and headphone amp in my home office.

Cheers!
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.