Aikido as a headphone amplifier (Output transformer groupbuy)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Our member bonny_kjs who drew up the pcb for the Aikido pcb groupbuy, can also wind transformers.

He is offering to wind a tranny similar to Sowter Type 8665

Any interest? The boards could be used with a very simple rewire to look like attached schematic.

Attachments

• brodheadphoneamp.jpg
    brodheadphoneamp.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 2,574
Giving credit where credit is due...John Broskie sent me this schematic after I inquired about using the Sowter OT's in the Aikido design for a headphone amplifier.

I am very happy with the results...the circuit provides an OTL output, choice of several output impedances via transformer, a variety of tubes in the first section, 6922, 6DJ8, EC88, 6N1P, heater starved 12A**'s, and can due double duty as a serious preamp, gain is its thing.

Carefully constructed, no real need to complicate the building with regulators and other sandy stuff...but that is a personal preference.

Power supply filtering C-L-C-R-C.

dr._sleep

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I would definitely take a pair of those.

By the way, has anyone heard from John Broskie? I must admit that I'd been holding out for his PCB design -- just out of loyalty, because I like to support his site (his software is a must-have for all of us).

But he's been elusive on his blog lately, so I'm wondering if I should have ordered one of yours, Bas.... Actually, do you have any left?

But he's been elusive on his blog lately
I believe he has become a daddy recently! That is probably delaying everything.

I don't have boards...but I ordered some new ones because some never reached their destination..and I still have to test the octal version..but time is a problem for me too! I'll post if I have news..

About the transformers..I believe they are on R core...they still have to be wound...will update you as soon as I have news...

Well, I won't bother him, then -- I have a 3-week old daughter and certainly understand the pressures on his time (though I also have a profound appreciation for decent headphone amplification!)

If boards or transformers become available, please do post them here... Or if you have Eagle files, I can get a few boards made up -- I'm sure there would be takers here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.