Safety when testing headphone amp for muso's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

At work yesterday, I had to test headphones at a really loud level, to check a supposedly distorting headphone amplifier. As I half expected, the distortion was within the performance that you would expect... it only distorts at levels above what is a safe listening level. I felt really anxious afterwards, as I was testing the amplifier by listening through headphones (two different types, with different impedances, both worked fine) and almost blasted my head off.

What is a safer way to test them? Should I use a dummy load and check test tones with a CRO, and compare the results with the spec sheet? (which may not always be available)

many thanks, from Steve

Seriously,NEVER test headphone amps with headphones on your ears!
If something went wrong,and the amp went into a full-power oscillation or something wierd,that LOUD screeching sound might be the last thing you ever hear. :att'n:

Use a dummyload,small speaker,or just leave the headphones sittin on the desk,you'll still hear them okay... Just NOT on your ears.

(A very useful tip I learned the hard way while working on a 1Wpc tube headphone amp.) :hot:

Thanks, I won't be that silly again! ::clown:

This is what I will do next time...

1) make a dummy:clown: (resistive) load
2) put a test tone through amp
3) measure output on CRO
4) when output distorts, measure output with AC voltmeter, calculate power output, compare with specifications. Tell those who reported it faulty that it works within the design limitations. (if that is the case)

I will also put a pair of headphones (via an attenuator) in paralell with the dummy load, for an objective sound quality test. (That is what most of us identify with!)

When I did the att'n: 'dangerous' :eek: testing I actually found that with some songs on the CD (a Daft Punk CD) the bass just deteriorated completely, even though the volume wasn't really that loud. The only way I could think of checking that this was normal performance for this amplifier was to check it against another identical unit. Both performed the same. This is where it becomes subjective, as I'm sure that the manufacturer's specs are only going to specify the power output at the frequency at which the power output is the highest. (for marketing reasons)

Has anyone got any more suggestions?

Many thanks, from Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.