Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2004, 06:17 PM   #1
bg4533 is offline bg4533  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Will this PSU work? (from Dynahi headphone amp)

I am building a Dynahi headphone amplifier (designed by Kevin Gilmore) and would like to integrate it with a Gainclone to save space and money. I have experience building headphone amps, but I have never built a Gainclone. I have made a similar post at Hea d-Fi, but i don't think many there have built a Gainclone.

Anyway, the Dynahi power supply is extremely well regulated and puts out +-30V. I was planning on using a Plitron 300VA 35V secondary transformer. I know a bit about amps, but have no clue about power supplies. Below are some links to the Dynahi PSU specs:

Main PSU info: Link
My post at Head-Fi: Link
PSU board drawing: Link

Will this power supply work with the Gainclone? It was suggested by someone at Head-Fi that this PSU might not work with the Gainclone due to current restrictions. Is this true? I also read that the LM3875 does not like a lot of capacitance. Will this power supply be a problem because of this? Is there an easy way around it?

Finally, if this PSU will work I would like to make a top of the line gainclone. If I combine the 2 I will be using a high end pot, nice inputs, case etc. What are some upgrades I should do over the standard gainclone? Are there any sites that detail these upgrades or just good sites to look at?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 30th December 2004, 12:32 AM   #2
digi01 is offline digi01  China
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to digi01
Default Re: Will this PSU work? (from Dynahi headphone amp)

Quote:
Originally posted by bg4533
Will this power supply work with the Gainclone? It was suggested by someone at Head-Fi that this PSU might not work with the Gainclone due to current restrictions.Is this true?

True.
for the GC psu,a couple of LM338 will do.

Hide this!Advertise here!