headphone on Pass A40

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I built an A-40 and use it every day on speakers of my own and I'm happy with it.

the point is:

1) Do you need 40W per channel on headphones ???

2) Don't forget you will get the noise associated with the PSU requied to feed a 40W class-A amp. In my sense, maybe too much noise to be a good thing.

Why don't try the nice SDS Labs Headphone amp. I drive a pair of 32 Ohms Grados with it. Sounds very good and dead quiet at idle...

Same answer,

the A-40 is a power amp and you barely need 1X or 2X line level (ie 2-4V RMS). A well buffered opamp based design should cut mustard like a purpose built mustard cutter for you. If I was you, I may be looking elsewhere that modifing the A-40, at least for the purpose. :)

Resistors in series with the speaker outputs is all you need. Value depends on your headphone impedance. Try 100 ohms to start if you have low-impedance (32 ohm) cans.
Using a dedicated headphone amplifier may get you better sound, but it is not necessary.

paulb answer seems to be something really acceptable but I wonder if you really get rid of the noise in this case.

For the SDS Labs little amp, I have had the print made for me for this project. Just check if the pcb transformer holes are at the right distance from each other. I remember I've had some problems with that... IRF610 and 9610 could be a better pick from their lower gate capacitance but IRF620 and 9620 are making great music in mine.

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.