Anyone interested in PCB's for OPA627/BUF634 based headphone amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2004, 12:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Maxhawk Send a message via AIM to Maxhawk Send a message via MSN to Maxhawk
Default Anyone interested in PCB's for OPA627/BUF634 based headphone amp?

I built a headphone amp based on the circuit of Toni Kemhagen (http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...mhagen_prj.htm) that contains switchable crossfeed. I changed the voltage feedback opamps to OPA627 and the current feedback opamp to a BUF634.

I am extremely pleased with the performance of this amp and would like to offer the PCB to others who might be interested in building this circuit. You can find pictures of the bare PCB, as well as a stuffed one, here: http://community.webshots.com/album/186022141gFrRec

The circuit needs about +/- 18VDC to feed the 15 volt regulators. If you want switchable crossfeed you will need a double-pole 6-pos switch.

If there is any interest I'll be glad to produce a BOM with part numbers, sources, and prices. I'm not looking to make a bunch of money on this, only to share the work I've put into laying out the boards.

-Rob
Old 6th October 2004, 11:02 PM   #2
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Default Re: Anyone interested in PCB's for OPA627/BUF634 based headphone amp?

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxhawk
I built a headphone amp based on the circuit of Toni Kemhagen (http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...mhagen_prj.htm) that contains switchable crossfeed. I changed the voltage feedback opamps to OPA627 and the current feedback opamp to a BUF634.

I am extremely pleased with the performance of this amp and would like to offer the PCB to others who might be interested in building this circuit. You can find pictures of the bare PCB, as well as a stuffed one, here: http://community.webshots.com/album/186022141gFrRec

The circuit needs about +/- 18VDC to feed the 15 volt regulators. If you want switchable crossfeed you will need a double-pole 6-pos switch.

If there is any interest I'll be glad to produce a BOM with part numbers, sources, and prices. I'm not looking to make a bunch of money on this, only to share the work I've put into laying out the boards.

-Rob
Looks like an interesting project. I would be interested in a pcb/kit.

--
Brian
Old 8th December 2004, 10:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Include me in
Old 8th December 2004, 11:45 PM   #4
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Possibly, depending on price...
Old 10th December 2004, 09:44 AM   #5
sklimek is offline sklimek  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds good!
Stan
Old 10th December 2004, 09:54 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default sounds fine

count me in when price acceptable

e&e
Old 10th December 2004, 11:50 AM   #7
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

It looks good but I have a comment about your parts placement. It's better to have all parts on one side of you want to have a good groundplane. The only reason to have it like you have done is if you are going to wave soldering it which I doubt.

I have also a OPA627 + BUF634 headphone amp and if you do it right the result will be good also.

I recommend you also that you add option for SO08 opamps becasue many good ones don't come in DIL08.
Old 10th December 2004, 02:51 PM   #8
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

How much are the boards? I'd be interested if the price is reasonable.

I'm really interested in the fact that it has the crossfeed circuit.

Best,
KT
Old 10th December 2004, 03:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Maxhawk Send a message via AIM to Maxhawk Send a message via MSN to Maxhawk
In small quanitites the PCB price is $12 each + shipping. There seems to be a renewed interest in this so I'll put together the BOM so everyone can see how much it will take to build this. I currently only have one blank PCB left, but if I can get a total of 6 people interested, I can order more boards.

To Peranders: I've had absolutely no issues with noise or ground loops. It's difficult to get all the components on one side when you have a mix of surface mount and leaded components. My original intent was not to try to market this as a kit so flexibility was not considered.
Old 10th December 2004, 03:30 PM   #10
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

I don't think that you had any problems with the groundplane but it maybe "feels" better if you have a more "theoretical" groundplane. OPA627 isn't particulary sensitive but if you have a harsh environment with ESD, RFI, EMI it's always a good rule to work for a "whole" grounplane.

These days it's more like a rule to have a option for SO08 opamps I think. Adapters are the best to be avoided.

Hide this!Advertise here!