DIY headphone amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Take a look at the attached .pdf. This is very, very quiet. Distortion and noise is below what I can measure. There seems to be a wide latitude regarding what transistors are used, I've tried different combinations with success. It is class A so you need some kind of heatsinking on the outputs. I used small TO-220 on-board type which brings the idling temp down from about 95degC to about 55degC.

I've used a pair of 9V batteries, a regulated supply and a very crude un-regulated supply made from a $9 doorbell xformer, 1N4004's, snubbers and two 220uF caps. All were totally silent. I think optimal is an unregulated supply with a little more substance than i used (I was trying for worst case). If you use more than 15V rails, you may need to increase the value of the output resistor as that is your overcurrent protection.

How do they sound? I'm biased, obviously. Nonetheless, used with good headphones I get the clearest, uncolored sound I've heard. To be honest, and combination of good headphones and a good headphone amp will get similar results. On the otherhand, if you are looking for a classic tube-like sound these aren't for you.

NOTICE: The attached digram may be used for personal use, only. Do not use it to develope a product for sale. Do not re-post on another forum. Do not publish it anywhere. If you wish to do any of these, contact me first for permission.

Attachments

• headphone.pdf
    32.9 KB · Views: 496
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.