J. Dunlavies headphone choice! Which one?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone.

Some years back, John Dunlavy posted on a newsgroup various aspects and personal opinions of speaker design and cables.

Amongst these postings, he shared that he discovered that a particular pair of Sony Professional Earphones were sonically identical to the real event!

Would anyone know exactly what model of Sony headphone he was reffering to?

Cheers

mark

YES, the 7506

Hi, a few years ago I had several lengthy conversations with John about a psycho and bio-acoustics research project where we wanted to hook people up to various neuro-biology systems and study the effect of zero-phase vs higher order filters in a controlled setting, where the speakers would exhibit identical dispersion patterns and spatial averaging response... his arrays would have been ideal for this due to the symmetrical response patterns.

The project did not materialize, but it was really a great thing to have spent so much phone time with him before age got to him.

As part of the discussions, I remember him insisting we should use the Sony MDR7506 as references, due to the fact that on several occasions he had used them during live recordings of orchestral material and others, and had found the 7506 to be virtually indistinguishable from the real sound.

So, yes he did actually say they sounded identical to the live sound.

Based on that, I got a pair, which I am still using now. Truly great sounding units. I don't know if the new Denons might be a little better, but you can score the 7506 for around $100 on the web, and you will not be sad if you do!

All the best.

Sorry to inform you but I read somewhere that John Dunlavy had passed away. I had the pleasure of being at one of his gtg in Adelaide at his factory when he released the Sovereign speaker. It was an awesome sight and ubeleivable sound which I think is still very hard to better even by todays standards. RIP.JD

lazenna said:
Sorry to inform you but I read somewhere that John Dunlavy had passed away. I had the pleasure of being at one of his gtg in Adelaide at his factory when he released the Sovereign speaker. It was an awesome sight and ubeleivable sound which I think is still very hard to better even by todays standards. RIP.JD

John Marks' article on the first page of May 2009 Stereophile was about tomorrow's classics. he reckoned that the Sovereign 2001 was a future classic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.